• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen Plums after neuter

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Meant to post this earlier, but forgot :oops: Bad Bunny Mummy that I am

One of my temp buns was neutered Friday, had his 3 day check up Last night, & this morning his plums are swollen - in a balloon way, not in a pus way :?

His dissolvable stitches are non-existant (he's picked them), but vet was happy with him yesterday. i've booked him in again tomoorow, for another quick check up- but they seem to be irritating him. He is giving them a lot of "attention" :oops: Is there anything i can do for him? Typical man making a fuss :roll:

Hi,

Seems a bit strange that they have only now become swollen. Think it must be the attention he is giving them. :lol:

You have done the right thing by taking him back for a quick check up.

Perhaps he could do with a small pain killer to stop him irritating them any more. They must be a bit sore poor chap.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Maureen

Poor boy!
Mine was neuteured not long ago - his balls werre so huge from swelling up... the vet said they were ok, then a week later he bit them off and through his artery behind!
So really keep an eye on them! and if you think they may be irritating him to much it may be worth checking if he has ann infection.
Hope he is ok though!

Snowflakes mummy said:
Poor boy!
Mine was neuteured not long ago - his balls werre so huge from swelling up... the vet said they were ok, then a week later he bit them off and through his artery behind!
:shock:

He is definitely back at the vets tonight :shock:

I was told that the ball can fill up after the op, it is with Blood and they go down completely empty after a couple of days. Part of the Healing Process. Might be wrong.

m
xx

mit said:
I was told that the ball can fill up after the op, it is with Blood and they go down completely empty after a couple of days. Part of the Healing Process. Might be wrong.

m
xx

Yeah -i've had that before, but they looked bruised. These look like balloons stretched to their limit :shock: Actually, they weren't as bad this morning, so will see what vet says tonight. Typically has to be the bun that is completely terrrified of being picked up. :roll:

I find this can be quite common especially with the better endowed chaps :? It can take a while to go down. Metacam for pain is a good idea to help keep their minds off them. Tissue fluid is the bodies way to cushion a wound and is part of the healing process. Usually this is what is filling the sacs. Occasionally there will be a small bleed and some blood will be present too, but even this will be reabsorbed - like a bruise- after a week or so. You need to keep an eye on them to check for infection if he nibbles the wounds. I keep the lads indoors until the swelling has gone and the wounds have knitted.

doorkeeper said:
I find this can be quite common especially with the better endowed chaps :? It can take a while to go down. Metacam for pain is a good idea to help keep their minds off them. Tissue fluid is the bodies way to cushion a wound and is part of the healing process. Usually this is what is filling the sacs. Occasionally there will be a small bleed and some blood will be present too, but even this will be reabsorbed - like a bruise- after a week or so. You need to keep an eye on them to check for infection if he nibbles the wounds. I keep the lads indoors until the swelling has gone and the wounds have knitted.

Thanks - He is indoors. The vet gave him some pain relief last night & I've to go back for more if necessary. He is quite well-endowed (not why I called him Big :lol: - He came in with another bun - Carrie - I'm a Sex & The City fan!). They weren't as inflated this morning, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks Guys :D

Back