• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips for new owners

Davenjo

Young Bun
Hi all,

Have learned a lot from BU already but are there any tips you would pass on to us?

The boys live outside in a home made hutch (from plans) and we bring them in for a run during the evenings for an hour during the week - is this ok? We try not to let the room get to warm and the have a Snugglesafe heat pad when they go to bed!

If it is dry they can go in a run outside on the patio - what if it's damp/wet?

Toys - what would they like to play with? At the moment they play with one an other as they have just discovered their hormones :oops: We are taking them to the vets tonight for VHD injections and possibly to have them neutered!

Spray - we clean it up from in the house asap but will they return to the same spot? We bring the corner potty in from the hutch (which they seem to be using!) but we hav'nt notice them use it indoors - play with it, chin rub it and generally scatter the contents around!

Hutch floor - what is the best material to line it with under the sawdust and hay? I have heard lino is good is that true?

Many thanks

Dave an Jo

Hiya

I lined my hutch with lino but they ate it and then pee seeped under it so I've removed it. Now they get shavings and hay and a corner litter tray which they now use.

I'd definitely get them neutered as you might find they'll fight once those hormones kick in proper.

Mine don't like toys, they like tunnels and newspaper to shred.

Hello :wave:

I am sure your boys toilet habits will improve once the are neutered. I would get them done ASAP as they may well start to fight once they reach puberty. It is often not possible to get Bucks back together again after a real bust-up

My personal opinion is that an outdoor Rabbit should not be brought into a centrally heated house, even for an hour or so. Rabbits cope fine with the cold (as long as they have a full winter coat, warm dry accomodation that is sheltered from the wind/rain) but they dont cope at all well with extreme changes of temperature.

Could you waterproof the run? You sound like a DIYer as you have bulit the hutch so maybe a run conversion could be your next project :wink:

My Buns love to destroy things and much prefer a cardbord box

rabbits458.jpg

025.jpg

or an old telephone directory to the toys you can buy. They also like the cardboard inner tubes of kitchen rolls.

None of my Buns live in hutches (they are all in indoor pens) but I have heard that lino is a bacteria trap as wee easily seeps under it. I would use newspaper but of course many Buns trash it at the first opportunity.. :roll:

Janex

Thanks for the replies - just back from the vets, we have them booked in to be neutered early Jan when they will have just turned 4 months. He gave them their VHD jab and a good look over!

Good point about the lino - will not go down that route then!

Jane - thanks for your advice (and pictures - cute!) Have built them a pen that we can use round the hutch or stand alone - looks like I have another project coming on :wink: Maybe we can use the garage if I bunny proof it as we like to get down with them and let them get used to us!

Regards

Dave an Jo

A lot of people bring their bunnies indoors in winter for this reason. If you do have a garage that isn't used for cars, it would be great if you could keep their hutch in there over winter, as extra protection from the elements - and possible danger from foxes etc. That way, the temperature difference between the house and theirs wouldn't be too great. :wink:

Bonding well with them whilst they are still young is a good thing, and they will need plenty of exercise time at this age as they will be full of beans and just discovering their jumping/running/binkying ability!!! :lol:

Being able to be at their height rather than having to pick them up is ideal too.

RE the litter tray. I think for when they're indoors they may need a bigger tray as they have a bigger area to play in. Try a cat litter tray, or even something like a small under bed storage box. So long as it has high sides (but low enough that they can get in!!) line it with something absorbent - if they are throwing the contents about, try wooden cat litter pellets, they help to prevent any smell, they dont get caught onto the buns coat or feet so are generally tidy. Then put some fresh hay on top to encourage them to go in it!! In order for them to realise at first what it's for, place some soiled litter from their hutch tray into the indoor one, then place it wherever in the room they prefer to go the most. - usually a corner, or somewhere partially hidden as they do like privacy for toilet matters!!!! :roll: :lol:

And as has already been said, neutering should help!!!

Keep us all updated!! :D

Hi and welcome :wave:

I bring my rabbit in for a run about when the weather is bad but you do have to be careful with the temperature, as the others have said :D I use the spare room as bunny playroom The radiators are turned off in there (all the time) and the windows are both open ajar. I have a couple of thermometers (one inside, one outside) so I can keep an eye on how close the temperature in the playroom is compared to that outside. In my experience it's never been more than a couple of degrees higher than that outside, so under the right circumstances it can be done. I do have to wear my coat when I'm sat in there with Jacob though! :lol:

KerinTravis said:
RE the litter tray. I think for when they're indoors they may need a bigger tray as they have a bigger area to play in. Try a cat litter tray, or even something like a small under bed storage box. So long as it has high sides (but low enough that they can get in!!) line it with something absorbent - if they are throwing the contents about, try wooden cat litter pellets, they help to prevent any smell, they dont get caught onto the buns coat or feet so are generally tidy. Then put some fresh hay on top to encourage them to go in it!! In order for them to realise at first what it's for, place some soiled litter from their hutch tray into the indoor one, then place it wherever in the room they prefer to go the most. - usually a corner, or somewhere partially hidden as they do like privacy for toilet matters!!!!

I'm loving the storage boxes, as litter trays.

They are cute buns!
I have two boys, who were neutered shortly before they came to me (rescues from Honeybunnys) and they are perfectly litter trained now. They have two litter trays, next to each other, and I had to move them to where they decided they wanted to pee :roll:
They love cardboard boxes (in fact anything full of hay) and things to sit on.
DSCN1066.jpg

This is their run, and they have two hutches in (which they prefer to sit on top) the bark pit is for digging in ( it has a mesh base, so they can't dig out)

Thanks for all the tips, as we took them on almost in rescue (see the post in introductions!) we didn't have a lot of time to prepare. We have had hamsters in the past but not rabbits (apart from when we were kids) so this is a sharp learning curve.

We are lucky in as much as we have quite a large garden so as soon as I can, ! can make a better run for them. HS - thanks for the picture of yours, it has given me an idea! Is the mesh base under the soil? if so how far down?

Their hutch is quite large (bigger than the standard shop bought ones, and they are dwarfs) but we try to let them play outside as much as we can. Foxes do worry me, so the hutch has wooden shutters on at night (will post a picture when I can).

Once again thanks for the tips and the comments on them being cute - they are cute. It was nice to see them as babies - just after weaning they were about the size of my hand! :roll:

Regards

Dave

This is it before we put the bark in. (6' x 6' x 2.5' high). The mesh frame is actually attached to the bottom of the run.

DSCN0826.jpg

and with the lid on

DSCN0854.jpg

We also have a bigger version for the bigger bunnies. (6' x 9' x 3' high) with an extension onto the grass for supervised use.

DSCN0529.jpg
[/img]

Thanks HS - that is ideal! Thanks for the pictures;-)

Mow has a bit of a sore neck from the VHD injection last night, poor wee thing! they both seem OK and are running around tonight having a game of pooh ball! 8) Will keep an eye on them both!

Regards

Dave

Back