• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

duchess not 'right' U/D back from vets shes got gut stasis

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
inoticed yesterday that duchess wasnt quite right, she didnt come and meet me at the top of the stairs or get excited when i brought up the veges. i put their veges out and she walked upto a bit of savoy cabbage snipped it then walked off, i tried tempting her with her fave, clery, which she chinned like mad ( :? :?: ) licked then ate about 2" of. so i gave her some tummy rubs (tummy didnt feel strange ) took out the majority of veg and put in a full kg pack of hay spread out through the cage which she immediately started nibbling on. this morning there was a lot of poop on the floor (strange as mine are both angels when it comes to going in the litter tray) but all the poops were quite small, about half the normal size. i have given her more tummy rubs this morning and some more hay to nibble on, i have also booked her into the vets at 3:20 this afternoon. what do you think this is likely to be? i immediately thought blockage but the only thing they could have eaten apart from normal food is newspaper (which i dont think either of them eats i just think teegra shreds it) please help i am so worried about my little baby. please send some vibes :)
thanks

I have no idea what it might be, but I know how horrible it is when you think there's something wrong :(

I hope Duchess perks up and starts eating her veggies again so that she has no need for a stressful vet visit.

Sounds like she has a reduced gut motility. This is often secondary to another problem so a Vet check is essential. Meanwhile its good she has produced some poo and is eating a bit of hay
Cabbage can cause problems for some Buns, giving them gassy tummies and colicky pain. The pain from colic causes gut motility to slow down hence the tiny poos or, in a more serious case, no poo.

Infacol and tummy rubs are a good 'first aid' treatment but it is also necessary to get the Bun examined by a Vet.

Please let us know how Duchess gets on

Janex

just got back from the vets

he said she has the beginning of gut stasis and has given her an injection of emequell (i think ???) he said there is food in her tummy but not so much in her large intestines. i have got to tempt her with a variety of foods (just put in even more hay and some grated veges) and try to get her drinking, if she sont drink i have got to start syringing water into her, he also said i should try separating the 2 so she can eat by herself (havent done this yet but if she doesnt eat soon i will) if she still isnt right by tomorrow she has got to go back and we will 'discuss' our options)

please send vibes for my little baby

Lots of vibes on their way for Duchess :D Hope she starts eating and drinking soon. Keep us updated with her progress.

thanks everyone

just been to check on her and i dont think she has eaten/drunk anything yet but she was hopping around a bit. will syringe some water into her as soon as dad gets home (he is a paramedic so got to ask him for a syringe)

thanks again

Try and keep her hopping around too - this helps their guts to keep going. Hope she is feeling better - has she eaten anything yet?

Oh I hope she's ok. Bobby worried me greatly a few weeks back with not eating. It took 3 days of intensive nursing to get him back to normal. He had 3 lots of metoclopramide (12 hours apart), he was syringe fed recovery food and water and eventually liquid parafin, but he's right as rain now. I think it was cabbage that did it.
Moving around will help a lot, give lots of snuggles from us.

thanks for your thoughts :D

im not sure exactly if she has eaten yet (had to go out tonight) but the bowls of food around her were empty but teegs was looking very happy :roll: :lol: . i have syringed her some water but i didnt know how much i was supposed to be giving (i gave her about 5-6ml) but after forcing a bit down her she seemed to like drinking from the syringe and started chinning it like mad (which meant she got a wet chin :roll: ) then teegs thought it looked like fun so he helped himself to a syringful too. she is still moving around a bit and jumping up into the sandbox etc so that is good, i am going to put in some herbage in a minute so that might help tempt her aswell. there was a lot of poops in the tray when i just went upstairs but not sure if they were hers or his (iv decided next time im gonna have a flemish giant and a nethie - then i can tell who is pooping!)

will keep you updated on how she is :)

I know what you mean about the poop checking problems.. i had exactly the same problem when Nala was poorly recently... all their poos are the same size!
I do hope Dutchess improves real soon. When Nala was poorly i put a few drops of apple juice in her water to tempt her and she seemed to enjoy that.. i did syringe it into her to start with though. Also did the vet give you any powdered food such as recovery or critical care? I had that for Nala and she loved it! If you dont have any and she isnt eating on her own you could try crushing her pellet food and mixing it with some cooled boiled water (still a little warm) and syringe feed her that. What about infacol.. have you tried any of that or is it more likely to be a blockage than gassy. When you massage her tummy can you feel bubbles? Also when Nala was poorly i did separate her from the other two until she began to eat on her own, then i put her in a pen within the room she was usually in so i could keep an eye on her pooping and eating.. its so difficult otherwise. I will keep my fingers crossed for her.. let us know how she does.

Yeh agree with Diddeen - you need to have Dutchess in her own space so you can see how much she is eating/ drinking/ pooing - otherwise you'll not be able to tell if her tummy is working again properly.

Try some tummy rubs too - she'll appreciate that!

Hi there. I'd definitely go back to see your vet tomorrow, especially since she is still disinterested in her food. I have had so many of my buns come down with gut stasis in recent weeks and there has usually been a cause e.g. teeth.

I would try giving her some Infacol if you have some and rub her belly to help shift any gas. For peace of mind I would try to syringe feed her a little mushed pellets too just so you know that something has gone in. And the boiled cooled water is definitely a good idea. I have found it useful to separate my sicky bunny to monitor poos for sure and of course to make sure that the food is only for her. I had an experience of two bunnies with sticky bums having eaten the sick bunny's extra pellets :roll: I usually allow my sick bunny to have a 'supervised' visit from her friends just to cheer her up though I watch carefully to make sure I don't mistake their poos for hers. :lol:

Bless her, hope she is feeling better soon.

she does seem a bit better today but still not 100% so i will book her into the vets once i have spoken to mum (i will try and see our regular bunny vet this time, she wasnt there yesterday) she has been eating some hay last night and this morning (put in some of that timothy herbage) she also just chase her treatball round for a few seconds i think i will try separating them for a bit just so i can monitor her better although i will feel terrible as teegra has spent all of his time lying next to her and eating hay next to her (this is usually when she starts ti eat) bless him. she has done some poop this morning too as i watched her go :oops: and i think she done some last night as i saw her eating in the litter tray and when she went there were a few poops that were still warm :oops: :oops: :oops:

EDIT: cant get to the vets today :( no appointments :( but will book her in as early as poss tomorrow if she is still not right
will keep you updated

i have separated them off with teegs in the crate and duchess in the pen with run of my room and the landing (i figured she needed the running space more today) i have been watching her for a little while and she has eaten some hay and i chopped up some veges into approx cm sqaures and she has eaten a couple of bits of apple and a bit of broccoli, she still hasnt drunk anything by herself though. when i came downstairs she had just gone in the litter tray and started eating some hay so i will go and check the tray (it was completly clean with only her access to it) after lunch. i do feel a bit mean though because they both keep trying to get to each other so i think once she has pooped, drunk and eaten a little more i will let them back in together so fingers crossed she is now on her way to recovery :)

Back