• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poor little monty

little treasure

Young Bun
Hi all,

I have spent ages reading through all the similar subjects on here.

Well out of our 11 buns,2 of which are house buns Monty one of the indoor buns is the only one who is constantly sticky around his bum :(

This problem arose since he had all his dangly bits removed,prior to this he was always clean and would eat all of his soft poops :D .

During the summer was a real nightmare with the flies.

We have been to the vets with this problem and he just put it down to diet,and at this time he was on pellet only and a tiny tiny bit of veggies.

We have tried him on all pellets including SS and A&P,but still no joy.

His Dad bless him looks after all the buns when they are ill or need cleaning,and I am after some more advice as Dad is real depressed and fed up with the fact that he (can't fix him).

You know what men are like :lol:

He is currently sharing the same pellets as our other indoor bun(burgess exel light)18% fibre,12% protein),these have never given us any problems with the other bun...

I am going to get him booked into the vets again on thursday for another check up and get him to check his teeth.
The main problem is He isn't a hay eating bun,even when he's on a greens ban.

There doesn't seem to be a link to his sticky bum,He can go weeks fine and the be real stick with no diet change... :(

I don't want him to dread seeing his dad as this is normally asssociated with him going in the sink :lol: Dad keeps saying he can't go on with monty,I know he doesn't meen this in a nasty way he's just upset he can't just sort out this ongoing problem.

I'am wondering if he could have some gut problem at all,when he went to the wets with this problem he gave him some stuff :? I think it was called fibreplast,or something similar and he seemed fine with this,but this was only for a week.

He stays in the summer house so it's nearly as good as being outside in there at the minute,I was thinking if he's just bored and just sitting around all day on his poops which is making the matter worse,we are going to try and get him outside next year inbetween some of the other rabbits so he have some neighbours for him to chat and play with,and get a bit more active.

It would be nice to get to the sticky bottom of this( pun intended) :lol:

Any advice would be great.

Take care and have a great christmas .

:love: Samantha and her buns

this is when we caught him stealing from the fridge in the summer

mooki3.jpg

And after we caught him
mooki6.jpg

I have had a number of rabbits who have come in to ARC with sticky bottoms, a few of them have been over weight and were unable to clean themselves properly. A number of rabbits have had problems with Excel but not with bunny basics T or SS (I am unable to get A&P near us so dont have experience with this food type).

For most of them getting them off Excel, cutting down their pellets to the minimum has really helped, this has encouraged them to eat more hay and also if they are overweight will help with them becoming trimmer and more able to clean themselves adequately. Some probiotics in the drinking water can also help whilst you are trying to change foods.

His Dad said to try to get him onto the SS again,as he's at his wits end ,what to try next.

He does remind me that he never has any problem with his gobby pigs,and when they do unfortunately fall ill,they rarely come back from the vets a second time.He lost little chester this summer,but he's still got Gus and mortimer,to cheer him up.

gm6.jpg

I will get some of that probiotic for his water bottle,is this a vet only thing,or can you pick it up from the pet shop.

:wink: Thanks for the replys,I know this subject has been covered many times,just wondering if I've missed anything.

Hes always got that sad lovely face on him :angel:

:love: Samantha and her buns

what a goofy looking bunny :lol:

How does the bunny open the fridge door to begin with? How is that possible?

And why would there be so much veggie in a fridge? I only have 2 bunch of spinach in my entire fridge.

anyhoo, to your problem, for the summer use warm water to spray clean her bum several times a day.

Hehe... I have a big vegetable patch and grow my own veggies... my fridge looks like that when I've harvested a load of crops! :lol:

I love the guilty face picture :love:

I think it would help if you tried to get him to eat some hay alongside the pellets. My previous rabbit was very anti-hay, but we managed to encourage him by trying some different types of hay until we found one he liked (have a look at the bunny basics site for some nice meadow hay with herbs - my bun would eat that! :D). We then also tried sprinkling this hay with chopped fresh herbs or dandelions to get him interested. Finally, someone one also suggested to me soaking the hay in water over night - I'm not sure of the theory behind this, but I imagine that it makes it a little softer and more appealing? :? (I'm sure one of more bunny savvy posters will be able to explain that one!)

Good luck :D

PS. My little baby bun gets excess caecotrophs on Excel - I've just started moving her over onto SS too!

My bunny in the past week accidentally knock off the hay to the water bowl. And as I dig out the wet hay, she really like to eat them all. Although, thru my method of "Induce Hay feeding", she also eat some regular hay during the day.

==========================

Hey Little Treasure:

1) I used to put the veggies the way you do, although in plastic bag. The veggie go bad in about 1 week. Then about 1 yr. ago, I notice grocery store sell a no. of brand name veggies, in a hard plastic container case. I noticed that before, but never bother wonder why. So I try it that way with the same casing.
Guess what? It last a lot longer. Easy 2 - 3 weeks.
On top of that, the veggies does not get dry. It's very fresh. The plastic case contains the moisture, and it traps the water at the top of the plastic cases (on the inside part), these water drip back down on the veggies, so no dry veggie.

Anyhoo, how does your bunny manage to open that door by himself?

i had the same problem with Gus - his sticky bum started after long term use of antibiotics and it went on for around 7 months

we tried protexin pro-fibre added to his feed which only helped a bit and i was at my wits end

this is how we eventually sorted it (only the very very occasional need for a bath nowadays which is just how Gus-waterphobe likes it)

we switched him onto SS - he gets 1 tablespoon at brekkie in a treat ball -no more at supper time - he weighs 2.5kg for reference

quite a lot of dark green veg at brekkie, bit more at suppertime and the odd treat of pear, carrot etc.

lots and lots of really good quality hay - he is finicky but i find if i put it in different parts of his room every day and maybe hide a few rose petals etc (from bunny basics) then he will eat some. he also likes simply grass from the hay experts

he's lost some weight which he needed to do, is full of life and more importantly i have only had to wash his bum 3 times in the past 3 months - before this i washed it at least 3 times a week for 7 months)

Have you tried keeping a diary of what type of veg he's eating and seeing if there is a link between a particular type.

I would say the min problemis lack of hay, have you tried different brands and also dried grass. You could also try feeding fresh grass (though build up quantity gradually). Rabbits are designed to mainly eat grass so if you can get him to do that in whatever form it tends to help.

Tam

It's been said on here before that excel can cause it!

Mine's cabbage. I fed them cabbage twice now, & both times I've had 4 sticky bums the next day :shock: I'm not feeding it again :evil:

well we are upto 1 week with no sticky botty :thumb:

He's just been having any greens apart from a tiny bit dad gives him,and this is about the size of your palm...

so things are looking up,dad has constantly been trying to eradicate things,but now he's on dried food and hay,he seems happy enough,and is bombing all over the room doing mini binkies..

Dad was sniffing his face and his bum this eveniing :lol: :lol: ,he said doesn't he smell nice :roll: I have to agree though he does smell nice.

We got some Timothy hay this evening with dandilions and marrigolds in,so we shall see what he thinks to that.
We asked for some Bio-lapis,but they didn't have any, so they gave us some Protexin sachets.

the thing is ,on the sachet,it says if adding to water or milk then it must be drunk within 12hrs :?

I thought the Bio-lapis stuff was put in the bottle and leave it .

Anyone used this before

:love: Samantha and the buns

P.S for those who are concerned ,Dad too is feeling better now that monty seems to be fine :lol:

Back