• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

brushing!

what type of brush do i use?! i got a brush from a pet shop which said it was for rabbits. its abit kak really the spine bits keep falling out. they are like little bristles but plastic type. it doesnt really pick up any type of fur from harvey and when i stroke him i end up with a rather hairy hand :lol: . the only other option i got was a mini dog brush - its abit like a paddle brush with fine metal teeth bits. they dont hurt cas i pressed my finger into them cas i was abit unsure. would this be ok so use or is there something else somewhere which is gunna be better?

I like a comb myself. I find you can get right down and comb all the knots out better.
Some combs have rotating teeth so it glided through the fur better without the tuggy feeling you sometimes get.

A slicker brush (which sounds like the second brush you have) can work well but as Nicole says combs do tend to work best. I use a cat flea comb as it have nice fine teeth.

Tam

nicole said:
I like a comb myself. I find you can get right down and comb all the knots out better.
Some combs have rotating teeth so it glided through the fur better without the tuggy feeling you sometimes get.

:thumb: :D

Janex

I use a metal comb and also a small slicker brush - the size for puppies. I tried one of the ones specially for bunnies but it's useless - it doesn't fetch any of the hair out and doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

I find the slicker brush is really good for a quick groom and gets alot of hair out, but the comb is better for tangles and if you've got loads of time to spare. :D

I used one of those pet grooming mitts. It has rubber nobbles on one side and a soft felt on the other. I find it works really well, but up until now I've not had a fluffy rabbit :)

i use a small toothed metal comb to remove any mats from my french lop none of my others have ever had a similar problem so i use an old baby brush for them. wetting your hands and then stroking them over your bun works quiet well, especialy if they're experiancing a heavy molt.

maxxev said:
wetting your hands and then stroking them over your bun works quiet well

This is good if you have a rex, their fur is so dense that some times you cant brush or comb them.

I use a slicker brush for my short haired rabbits, and a rotating tooth comb for the angoras, nothing else will get to the roots!

I have found a teasing comb works well on Stuart:

haymonster.jpg

His coat is a nightmare :roll: The wide teeth let it pass through the knots without pulling as much hair out. That said I gave up last weekend and chopped a couple of inches off it :roll: He still has at least an inch and is not likely to get cold. The worst part is the back of his neck, that HAS to be clipped, and between is front and back legs.

Back