• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles

touie

Wise Old Thumper
the baytril doesn't seem to be improving Twinkles snuffles, I've got her in and she's sneezing so much :( how long does it take to start working? is there anything else the vet can try? what else can I do to help her?

My Vet says Baytril is UNLIKELY to be effective in treating Respiratory Tract infections
She recommend Co-trimoxazole (SEPTRIN) as a first line of treatment and then moves on to Depocillin Injections if the Septrin does not resolve the clinical symptoms after a 10 day course.
I believe AlisonA's snuffly Santa responds well to Doxycycline

Janex

Salt was on Baytril for a while for snuffles, and he responded quite well to it, but it came back as soon as he stopped it.
I have tried to manage his environment more, trying to find out what sets it off, and have changed the bedding and types of hay he gets. He is now much better with wood based cat litter and one type of hay.

Hi,

Bayatril did not work for my bunny, Jane is right I would get your vet to try what Jane suggested. It worked for my bunny after about a week he was much better. He occasionally get a touch of it again but it soon clears up after a course of injections

Some vets think Rabbits..... Bayatril and can't see any further.

Best wishes

Maureen

I'm not sure, Bilbo lives outside partly because she always has and partly cos she lives with Laikin, Crackers and Bluebell, but one of the buns, Nutmeg on rabbits in need, is said to need to be kept inside because she has snuffles. I would be interested to know what others think about this.

I would think outdoors has better ventilation and less allergens but inside is obviously warmer, not sure whats best :? I have her outside at the moment.

I think central heating is a no-no for a snuffly bun. But a cold/damp environment is not good either. Ideally I would want a snuffler to be in a steady temp of 16c with good air exchange and humidity but no draughts.
An un-centrally-heated indoor room with a small window open would be great.

Janex

thats a bit hard to achieve in a 2 bed shoebox! Would she be better outside with lots of snugglesafes, I have one at the moment but could get a couple more ?

touie said:
thats a bit hard to achieve in a 2 bed shoebox! Would she be better outside with lots of snugglesafes, I have one at the moment but could get a couple more ?

As long as she is not in a damp environment, is sheltered from the elements, does not keep going indoors+ then out and she has warm dust free bedding + a full winter coat (ie has been outdoors all year) then she should be fine outdoors

Janex

well she has 2 hutches one inside a covered run and 1 on top, I can answer yes to all the other questions except for the bringing her in one. I cant manage to give her the medicine outside as she struggles so much and gets stressed, only way i can do it is inside on the sofa for some reason she doesn't struggle there :? I do make sure the heatings off if she's in though :oops:

Jack's-Jane said:
I believe AlisonA's snuffly Santa responds well to Doxycycline

Yep Ronaxan (doxycycline) just a quarter of a tablet daily as Santa is such a weeny one, it's easy to administer as I just squish it into a little piece of banana and she scoffs the lot.

The other thing I find works very well is oxytetracycline (terramycin or engemycin I think) injections, Santa has responded particularly well to these recently.

Septrin can also sometimes be easier to give than Baytril because it is banana flavoured so the bun thinks they are being given a treat rather than a fight!

Back