• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House rabbits and mess

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Are house rabbits a definite no no if you're houseproud? I'm soooo not houseproud as anyone (GemmaH) who's been here can tell you. However we're doing work on the house and having new carpets etc and my OH is against having a housebun (or cat or dog :roll: ) as he says we're spending a fortune on new carpets, sofa etc and he doesn't want them wrecked

What's the truth with having a house rabbit? Do they create a mess no matter how much you train them or is it possible to have a nice house and a rabbit??

I'm very house proud & I have 2 house rabbits... We've had bertie for 14 months & he's great, he's so clean & leaves no mess for me to clean up well only his litter tray... We also have Molly a 6 month old rescue rabbit we've only had her 2 weeks so she's not litter trained as yet but saying that she'll only go to the toilet in her cage but it can be anywhere in her cage... As soon as you get your rabbit litter trained you won't have a problem...

i think it depends on the age - my older ones are lovely and clean most of the time but frida is a nightmare as is lola who isnt neutered

i have given up tbh - i just hoover twice a day now instead

my two are well behaved but do the occasional poo.. not a lot of mess but every now and again you have to sweep up and transfer a few poos to the litter tray

Mine are pretty clean, but I do find that hay seems to make it's way around the house and I'm forever sweeping/vacuuming...

Trip is really tidy in the house, but my two girls make a lot of mess. They will use the litter tray, then throw it across the room. They havent been spayed yet though.

Beany said:
I do find that hay seems to make it's way around the house and I'm forever sweeping/vacuuming...

Tell me about it! :lol:
Mine do their business in their litter tray with just the odd stray dropping outside the cage. The hay however is like a second carpet. I vacuum everyday but most of the time you'd never guess from the look of it. :roll:
It's all worth it though, house buns rule!

My free range boy is totally house trained in his tray. The others are housetrained for urine but pebbles not. I don't seem to mind these as they are in the kitchen

Weedie is very good - he uses the litter tray all the time and only does the odd poo on the floor. Bundle however, is another story! She will wee in the litter tray but scatters poos EVERYWHERE! :roll: She's always done it and it seems like she ain't gonna change... I thought because Weed is so clean he might train her but no, she likes to scatter poo! :lol: :lol: The hay also makes it's way everywhere :roll: :roll:

In addition to that kind of mess, Weed has decided all of a sudden that the skirting boards and wallpaper look like fun and has started to have an experimental nibble in places! :lol: In the one room they're allowed that has carpets he has also started to have a dig and a chew in one corner. Bundle was forever digging at the carpets and plucking tufts out in our old house although she hasn't done it since we moved here (mainly because it's mostly wooden floors).

I'd say it depends on the buns, but if generally if you want a tidy house it doesn't go hand in hand with having house bunnies (but that's purely my experience). I don't leave them free range the whole time - they have a large hutch and run in the garage for while I'm at work and during the night. The one time I thought I'd trust Bundle and leave her loose overnight I came down to literally a carpet of poo! :shock: :shock: The whole floor was polka dotted - she'd even done it all over the settee :roll: you really wouldn't think such a small animal could produce such copious amounts of poo! :shock: :lol: Needless to say that was the one and only time I ever left her out overnight........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm houseproud with 2 house buns. My recommendation is a dyson - they'll suck anything up :lol: . They even get their hutch dysoned once a week! Mine are good at doing their doings in their hutch. Sometimes they poo in their little "warren" under the dining room table, but nothing that can't be collected easily manually :oops: Occasionally Bella decides to clean her own hutch out over the floor. To be honest though, my ex created more mess in the house!! I've been lucky in that my buns haven't really been chewers so only a couple of small table leg chewing incidents. In my last house I have laminate flooring with rugs. That was dead easy to keep clean - you can just shake the rugs outside.

Bundle said:
I'd say it depends on the buns, but if generally if you want a tidy house it doesn't go hand in hand with having house bunnies (but that's purely my experience).
I agree. Totally depends on the rabbit.

Snoopy our first house rabbit was as good as gold, instantly litter trained, had the free run of the house and never caused a single mark.

Then came Flump! :shock: :lol:

Flump is a MAJOR chewer, and systematically set about detroying the house room by room. All the skirting, doors, sofa, wires were obliterated within weeks. Having said that he was fine from a toilet point of view.

Of our current two Elroy is safe because he has no front teeth, but that also causes him problems cleaning his bum so he sometimes gets a messy behind and decides to show us it's time for a clean by depositing poo marks over everything! :roll:

Honey is extremely clean, but is also a chewer. This time a carpet chewer!

So I agree with Bundle, an awful lot depends on the rabbit. :?

I wonder why they poo outside the litter tray sometimes, with sometimes in. Is it territorial and they are marking their area.

raine said:
I wonder why they poo outside the litter tray sometimes, with sometimes in. Is it territorial and they are marking their area.

Well when they go to a new area they poo like mad so it must be. When I gave Pippa a run in the kitchen it resembled a giant litter tray after only a short time yet normally she's good with her litter tray. And in the shed her and MJ always use their litter tray - there are few poops anywhere else.

we have 2 girls indoors now and they have their indoor cage with a puppy pen attached off it. so when their not free roaming they are contained, when they are running about the house we only find the odd poo.

Back