• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dougal at vet, vibes please U/D Eating a little

nicole

Mama Doe
Went out this morning and Dougal did not want anything to eat.
No broccoli, carrots, oxbow, treats or hay :shock:

My friend Fiona was off to the vets so took Dougal along (I was working).

Teeth fine (no anesthetic), poo could be felt. Temperature was 36 degrees.
He got Metoclopramide inj, Norocarp inj, Prepulsid, Vetergesic.
And 100ml of sub cut fluid.
So far he has only eat 1" of carrot, and peed on a blanket.

Not interested in anything but sitting on his snugglesafe.

Please send vibes for my wee man.

Poor man :cry:
Did the Vet say if his guts felt 'doughy' or 'tense' ?

I dont think pineapple juice (referring to your PM :wink: ) is as important as getting more fluids into him and getting his temperature up to normal
I would advise bringing him indoors (if he is not already)
Then make up a liquid feed. Critical Care if you have it or crush some pellet feed and soak it in cooled boiled water. Try to get 10-20ml into him, then give some gentle tummy rubs. The Vetergesic will also act as a sedative so he will be quite lethargic. Leave him for a couple of hours, making sure he is warm, has access to water and hay and tempting food.
Then repeat the syringe feeding/tummy rubs throughout the night. If you have any infacol you can give 2ml of it before first feed the 1ml before every other feed.

I really hope he will be MUCH better by the morning

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:

I dont think pineapple juice (referring to your PM :wink: ) is as important as getting more fluids into him and getting his temperature up to normal
Then make up a liquid feed. Critical Care if you have it or crush some pellet feed and soak it in cooled boiled water. Try to get 10-20ml into him, then give some gentle tummy rubs. The Vetergesic will also act as a sedative so he will be quite lethargic. Leave him for a couple of hours, making sure he is warm, has acces to water and hay and tempting food.
Then repeat the syringe feeding/tummy rubs throughout the night. If you have any infacol you can give 2ml of it before first feed the 1ml before every other feed.

Janex

His tummy was doughy, have syringe fed him with oxbow, baby food and pro-biotic.

Just gave him his prepulsid and he loves it, and gave some water too.
Making a pen for him now.

Thanx Jane.xxx

nicole said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Then make up a liquid feed. Critical Care if you have it or crush some pellet feed and soak it in cooled boiled water. Try to get 10-20ml into him, then give some gentle tummy rubs. The Vetergesic will also act as a sedative so he will be quite lethargic. Leave him for a couple of hours, making sure he is warm, has acces to water and hay and tempting food.

Janex

His tummy was doughy, have syringe fed him with oxbow, baby food and pro-biotic.

Just gave him his prepulsid and he loves it, and gave some water too.
Making a pen for him now.

Thanx Jane.xxx

Awwww bless him liking his meds!!

Great that your Vet has some prepulsid, its like gold-dust and better than metoclopromide!!

Janex

When the vet gives sub-cut fluids, does it migrate to their abdomn?
I can feel a lump, that was not there this morning? :shock:
He is sitting on my knee leaning into me, this is not normal!!!

I am so worried :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Edit: the lump is no longer there, must of been the subcut fluid. :oops:
Sorry for the panic.

nicole said:
When the vet gives sub-cut fluids, does it migrate to their abdomn?
I can feel a lump, that was not there this morning? :shock:
He is sitting on my knee leaning into me, this is not normal!!!

I am so worried :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Has he poo'd yet?
If not I'd contact the Vet again tonight for advice. What you can feel may well be a large lump of poo making its way through but best check with the Vet again.

Janex

No poo :( :(
This lump is not inside (if that makes sense), it's just under the skin :?
When you lye him on his back it moves.
Vet is off till Monday now :? :?
Still not eating, or drinking or doing anything really.
He is still cold, why would his temp be down?

First time I've had a sick bunny.

How is he today? When my rabbit Daisy has gastric stasis her temp went down to 34 degrees. I kept her on heat pads, by a radiator and syringed warm subcut fluids into her but it still took a couple of days for her temp to return to normal. Its because when they are not feeling well their body is working so hard trying to make them better, that they can't regulate their temp as well.
I hope your bunny is better today.

Dougal has perked up, had a few pellets , carrot and broccolli.
Loads of the smallest poos you have seen, but there is poo :lol: and pee
He is still cold and sleepy, will keep him in tonight.
Mhairi is keeping him warm and clean.

Will update later and thanx for all your vibes.

Well Dougal did a big pee,pee and more teeny tiny poos.
Is eating a little forage and herbal hay. Had more broccoli and syringe feed.
Has had all his meds for today. Just have to wait now and see what the vet thinks.

Do you think I should have put under a GA and have his teeth double checked. Vet said on Sat that his teeth were wearing evenly but looked longish. But nicest teeth he has seen in a while.

Back