• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GIANT BUNNIES

baileydonut

Alpha Buck
Hi there, do any of you have giant bunnies? I am torn between fostering and having a giant bunny. I saw some last year at the rescue place where we got Bailey and Donut from and have been smitten ever since (the ones at the rescue place have thankfully all found new homes now). Anyway, I just wondered if any of you have experience of giant buns. My garden is about 98% rabbit proof (but the other 2% could be sorted easily). What size hutch would I need? Would a 2 tier one be suitable? I am assuming not as they would not be able to move like a smaller bun. I have two bunnies already who share 'garden time' as they don't get on. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. A new bun wouldn't cause too many problems, would it? My uncle works at Birmingham market and manages to get us plenty of fresh veg at the right price, so our food bill shouldn't be affected too much, should it? Please help make my mind up. I keep asking my husband for one, then change my mind and ask to do fostering - poor thing doesn't know whether he is coming or going. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Karen

I love Giants too :D A two tier hutch definitely isn't suitable and tbh most hutches won't be, you're much better off with a playhouse/shed. Do your other buns free range in the garden or in runs? If they're in runs then Giant bun could free range under supervision. Depends on the size of garden you have but a playhouse with very large run would probably be ok when you can't supervise. Or could you have one as a house bun?

Hi, I didn't think a two tier one would be a good idea - kept getting visions of one getting stuck on the stairs. My other two have hutches and then free range in the garden. They have currently been moved into our large shed due to the weather. When you say playhouse, do you mean like the ones at a garden centre? Thanks, Karen

OMG I would LOVE a giant bun, especially as a house bun, but my OH says the two we have make enough mess - he can't stand the thought of lots of giant bunny poos everywhere to contend with :lol: :lol: :lol: I think he thinks they'll do poos the size of golf balls! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would agree that unless you can keep him or her as a house bunny then a shed would be best - most hutches are just not big enough, and they would need a large run attached for exercise. :D

baileydonut said:
Hi, I didn't think a two tier one would be a good idea - kept getting visions of one getting stuck on the stairs. My other two have hutches and then free range in the garden. They have currently been moved into our large shed due to the weather. When you say playhouse, do you mean like the ones at a garden centre? Thanks, Karen

Yes, do a search on playhouses and loads pop up. Some would be too small, but some are 5 or 6 ft square. And there are sales on at the moment so you might be able to find a bargain but also a small shed say 6 x 4 or 7 x 5 is cheaper but I like the look of a playhouse :lol:

I have two baby giant buns and I have a massive nearly 8ft long hutch which is 3ft high. Underneath is a huge 8ft by nearly 7ft run. Its has the height for the giants to stand up in and plenty of room for them to run. The hutch was lifted ontop of the run by 6 men, its that heavy ! This was made by a carpenter. The height of the hutch ontop of the run is bigger than me ! Sheds would be good with an additional big run.

I just adore my wee ones and my other three buns :D

This is Libby my REW Flemish Giant. She is still a baby :shock: Her friend is Inspector Morse!!

Picture166.jpg

Janex

Aww, look at Libby! Her fur is all tufty just like baby hair!

Karen, one thing that springs to mind is - if you are already having to share garden time morning and afternoon, will you have enough time left to give giants all the excercise they need? If you had them as house buns it obviously wouldn't be a problem, but (especially in the winter when the day s are so short) would you have enough time to split it up three ways and still give all of them enough time out?
Just a thought :D

Hi there, theres no way I could have a house bunny as i have 5 cats. They don't like it when Bailey and Donut pop in to say hello. Its almost as though the house is theirs and the garden is the rabbits. Garden time wouldn't be a problem during the summer months, its just now. I work from home most days and so would be here for the change overs. They could easily have 3 hours out per day each, running around and nibbling. I have an area in the garden where there is a run down handmade compost bin. We meant to get rid of it this year, but never quite got round to it. I could move that when the weather breaks and it would be an ideal spot. You never know, the new bun might even get on with either Bailey or Donut. I can live in hope. Bailey is quite large. If they did get on I would have a spare hutch then I could perhaps consider fostering aswell. I will take on board everything that has been said and think long and hard before making my decision. I am also a believer in fate and so I am sure if I am meant to do something, something will happen - if that makes sense. Thanks for your comments. Karen

Daisy-May is a cross "big Bunny" and she is so saft! Love her to bits and having her in the house is somewhat like having a puppy around. She loves coming over for cuddles and company - although having been spayed wednesday she is a little wary of me at the mo.

CIMG4492.jpg

chloaster said:
Daisy-May is a cross "big Bunny" and she is so saft! Love her to bits and having her in the house is somewhat like having a puppy around. She loves coming over for cuddles and company - although having been spayed wednesday she is a little wary of me at the mo.

CIMG4492.jpg

Awwwww :love: :love:

What superb photos. Am going to have a word with the guy who made my current hutches. They are so strong. Myself and my husband struggle to move our rabbit hutch! Just thinking if I had a large hutch, the new bun could go into the shed with my other rabbits and guinea pigs and they would all be together. At least they can hear each other then. I should be able to get an 8x2x3 foot hutch at least in there. I have also seen on another thread about a rescue last night including a giant bun. What was that I said about fate in my ealier message - is this it? Is this the one for me? Karen

What adorable bunnies - have you seen the piccies of mine in the intro part? Under introducing Bailey and Donut - they are gorgeous - not that I am biased at all :lol: :lol:

Check these Playhouses from B&Q out:

Kitty Playhoue £170: 5ftx5ft Height: 5'1''

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...ge=100-200&fh_refview=lister&ts=1165787473407

Pixie Playhoue £199: 6'1''ftx5'7''ft Height: 5'1''

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...ge=100-200&fh_refview=lister&ts=1165787485713

Cubby Playhoue £219: 6'1''ftx5'7''ft Height: 5'6''

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...layhouses}&fh_refview=lister&ts=1165787499004

And you can add a good sized run to that too.

Hope this helps. :D :D :D

m
xx

Back