• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

first injectionby myself....

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
i ve just done my first unsupervised rabbit injection :? :?
didnt make me cringe like i thought it would ..but...now i feel sick wondering if i did it right or not :shock: :?

Well done!

I had a few problems with Alice, I managed to get the needle in but somehow I ended up going in and back out again so all the meds went straight onto her fur!! :shock:

I got pretty ok at it by the end but we had a few trips to the vet to stock up because I had mishaps. Little Alice just sat there and let me do it, so I can't have been hurting her. I felt terrible, but at least I was trying!!!

Gemma

AliBenMummy said:
I managed to get the needle in but somehow I ended up going in and back out again so all the meds went straight onto her fur!! :shock:

I did that with one of my rats :oops: Anyone that can manage to give an injection without doing that has my respect!

Toward the end of the three weeks of twice daily injections, Alice's skin got quite sore and it got a bit more difficult as I tried to get a different spot each time. I think as long as you get some into them, it's better than nothing...

One thing that surprised me was how tough their skin can be, even though it is papery thin...

Ah well done! It is quite tricky at first, I've been injecting (vaccs and meds) for nearly 3 years now and I still sometimes go right through the scruff!!!

first injection

The first time i did an injection my vet stood over me to supervise :) I put the needle in bunnies scruff & straight out the other side so i squirted the ABX on to the floor :lol: next time i was a bit better but was shaking in terror that i would injure bunny :shock: :( you seem to have done much better than i did though :) I am O.K. doing these now :)

I remember my vet telling me when she was newly qualified she injected a cat and wondered why the owner was looking at her funny, until she felt her other hand get wet :lol: :lol: She'd also injected straight through the scruff!!

I do my own injections now and now I've got the hang of it I find it ok, it is odd when you first do it though, the needles are so sharp it's difficult to tell if it's actually gone in, especially when there's fur in the way so you can't actually see where you're putting it!

My vet's tip was to hold the scruff up with your thumb pointing towards the bunny's back (fingers on other side), then use your thumb to guide the needle in straight down - have to be very careful you don't get yourself.

I never went through the scruff but the worst but for me was sucking up to check for blood before injecting - I found it difficult to keep the needle in.

Then the time Zeus moved after the injection and I scratched myself with the needle as I caught him to stop him falling off the worktop. Luckily only penicillin and not ivermectin or VHD.

Caz

Back