• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scanning

rachael1969

Warren Scout
I've just noticed on another site than someone complains their bunny is 'scanning'.

Is this a condition or a problem as both mine do it all the time. They 'scan' the room and then their head follows.

They are due to go to the vets tomorrow, should i mention this to them? :?

Hi. Can you explain what is meant by scanning? :? Is it something I need to be aware of in bunny behaviour?

Scanning is common in red eyed animals as it's associated with poor vision. It's been suggested that it helps depth perception (telling how far away an object is). It's quite odd to watch, the rabbit (or other animal) slowly move their head from side to side.

Scanning because of vision problems doesn't have any health implicatiosn - it just looks odd.

Similar symptoms that develop suddly or a headtilt can be aresult of health problems and should be checked by a vet.

Linda from CARROT Rescue has a video that shows better than I can explain: http://www.pixparty.com/carrot/v_11092.asp

Tam

I have a whole family of white lops that do this, they look most odd :lol: I think most rew do it. I bonded a dark red eyed rabbit to one of mine and she did it too.
I haven't seen it in dark eyed rabbits except ones with headtilt.

Flopsy does it and she's dark eyed (middle top of sig), but the vet can't find anything wrong with her. It is a bit odd to watch.

Back