• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, ill bunny!

dogmaddebbie

Young Bun
OK my bun has been ill for about 6 months now, with a severe eye/tear duct infection. The vet did mention pastuerlla (sp?) She has had regular antibiotics/eye drops but has not got better.

Where she is cleaning herself she is dragging the gunk onto her dew lap and making it wet, to the point where she now has no fur there. The vet has just told me to wipe this and try and keep it clean.

This morning when I went in she had a really wet mouth and it seems to be losing weight. I'm not sure what is happening now but I have got her booked into the vets tomorrow.

She is now over 6 year old and had to have her sister pts a couple of months ago due to a similar infection except hers went on her chest.

How long do I keep going back to the vets or do you think its time for her to be pts, I don't want her to suffer, not sure if she is in pain or just discomfort but so far the vet hasn't mentioned having her pts.

If I do have her pts this leaves me with a 1 yr old male french lop who would be on his own. Would you recommend getting a friend for him?

Thanks

Debbie

Did you vet check her teeth? Is she eating normally? When i got Wilow his teeth were so bad that he was dibbling constantly and under chin was so sticky and smelly. He was very underweight due to pain when eating. He didn't have a bad eyes though. But Dandelion who also has teeth problems had a terrible weepy eye. His teeth were cliped and he had an antibiotic cream for his eye. It clear up in no time.

Hope she feels better soon.

could she have teeth problems? It could be her molar (back) teeth which need to checked with a scope thing or under GA.

Do you feel confident in your vet? Maybe get a 2nd opinion?

Maybe you could ask your vet about some Metacam for pain relief if you think your bun is in pain. If it's still eating and has happy times then I would say to give it a chance. You will know yourself if it's time, but it sounds like the infection or whatever is causing this just needs completely stamping out. Maybe you could see a different vet?

Gemma

He did have a look at her teeth last time I went and all looked normal. I think she has had her teeth checked before as she was under a GA to have her tear ducts flushed.

I will see what he says tomorrow, I'll let you know, thanks for your advice.

Back