• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant Rabbits – Can any rescues help?

anon101

Banned
I don’t normally agree with helping breeders off load unwanted stock but I thought this was an exceptional situation.

I know of a breeder wanting rid of a British Giant x doe and a Flemish Giant buck. Both are young and no longer wanted due to been badly marked.

The breeder has already lost the doe once as she escaped from her “hutch”. My concern is they are either going to escape again and be killed by a fox/car etc or end up as a child’s Christmas present. These size rabbits in inexperienced hands don’t bear thinking about.

I can arrange to have them collected and keep them here temporarily. We can also help with transport and contribute towards neutering costs if a rescue takes them for re-homing.

Briar Patch hasn’t got space for any Giant’s at the moment.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

how big are they louise .
we have one large hutch but not as big as id like for a true giant :? its got a resident at the mo but if you could keep till we had space . :?

would def only be big enough for one at a time though . :shock:

raine said:
What about the Giant Rabbit Rescue

:lol: :lol: :lol: - oh you were serious!

I am probably a bit far to help out but give me a shout if they need to come over this way - I do miss my giants.

Caz

Caz said:
raine said:
What about the Giant Rabbit Rescue

:lol: :lol: :lol: - oh you were serious!

I am probably a bit far to help out but give me a shout if they need to come over this way - I do miss my giants.

Caz

caz if you can foster them for me i can take them?

If anyone has ever managed to adopt a real rescue rabbit off them - I would love to know - until then I reserve my right to :lol: - getting hold of Sue is difficult enough!

As I pm'd you Eve this Christmas I am heading to my parents and taking my bunnies (and dogs) with me for Christmas so I wouldn't be in a position to foster until the New Year as I can't expect to take over any more room at my parents - sorry - otherwise I would love to!

Caz

Caz said:
If anyone has ever managed to adopt a real rescue rabbit off them - I would love to know - until then I reserve my right to :lol: - getting hold of Sue is difficult enough!

As I pm'd you Eve this Christmas I am heading to my parents and taking my bunnies (and dogs) with me for Christmas so I wouldn't be in a position to foster until the New Year as I can't expect to take over any more room at my parents - sorry - otherwise I would love to!

Caz

well if you can take them after xmas for a while and loiuse hasnt got anywhere else lined up that would work for me :D

Thanks for the offers. :)

Looks like Angie (Bunnymadhouse) will be having them when space allows etc.

If that falls through for whatever reason I will get a bunny run sorted down to Eve in the New Year when she has space.

In the meantime I will arrange to collect them and they can be fostered here.

Louise

Caz said:
If anyone has ever managed to adopt a real rescue rabbit off them - I would love to know - until then I reserve my right to :lol:

A 'real' rescue rabbit? Are they just pets then? I'm confused :oops:

cute_fuzzies said:
Caz said:
If anyone has ever managed to adopt a real rescue rabbit off them - I would love to know - until then I reserve my right to :lol:

A 'real' rescue rabbit? Are they just pets then? I'm confused :oops:

lady there is a breeder :wink:

We got Jessica from Giant Rabbit Rescue - we were told she was a rescue bunny.

I'm really shocked (and confused) :shock: Not sure what to think.

Could she not be a breeder that rescues the odd giant rabbit? Then again rabbit breeders are nothing like rat breeders, and they have alot of surplus rabbits they bred themselves and have to give away for free.

Yes, she does both. Breeds for showing and takes in giants for rehoming.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin for shedding some light on this - I thought that that might be the case.

We went to visit twice and she has an excellent set up and really cares about her beautiful big bunnies.

She breeds and rescues yes, but so many people on here have tried to adopt one of her rescued rabbits and have given up trying to get hold of her. Phone calls not returned, emails ignored. Unless you live locally and turn up on her doorstep it seems to be very difficult to get in contact.

I bought my old boy off her as one of her own-bred "pedigrees" before she started the rescue side and about a year later when I saw she was rescuing I thought it would be the perfect place to get him a g/f.

I emailed and rang but never heard a peep from her after I told her my boy had been ill and the vet was concerned about problems with his jaw and teeth.

Some of the rabbits she rescues are her own-bred that have been returned by their owners and she also takes in local giant bunnies that are dumped on her. It is just her rabbits available bit hadn't been updated for ages and no one could get hold of her so we were starting to wonder if the rescue was really running.

You are the first offical person I have "met" who actually got a rescue bunny from her - congratulations :wink: !

Caz

Back