• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flakey fur - please help!

Fairy Angel

Alpha Buck
A girl from another (non-bunny) forum I post on is asking for advice, any help would be appreciated guys!

My baby bunny has got white flakes on his fur and it loosing little patches of hair, hes only 10 weeks old. I dont know if i should take him to the vets but they charge £30 just to look at him + anything else they do on top of that. Hes not scratching and hasnt gone off food and water, tbh hes not any different apart from this. Does anyone have any advice.

sounds like mites to me

thats what happens to gus when he gets them (which is at least once a year due to his poor immune system)

she really needs to take him to the vets - especially as he's a baby as if he does start scratching it could wear him out very quickly and it cant be pleasant for him

I agree with Sarah. It sounds exactly like when Audrey had mites.

She will need to take him to the vet as pet shop remedies do not work apparently. The vet may give an injection/or course of injections depending on how severe it is.

Whereabouts does she live? Perhaps someone could reccomend a cheaper vet?

i think the important thing is that bunny goes to the vets sooner rather than later - or it may just end up even more expensive in the long run

the course of injections my vet gives isnt particularly cheap but it is very effective - and i wouldnt trust pet shop remedies especially on a baby bun as they have been known to burn skin

perhaps, like mandy says, you could find out where she lives and maybe someone will know a cheaper vet in the area

i also forgot to mention - during the visit to the vet the bunny will also get a teeth check and overall health check which is beneficial especially at that age

You can now get ivomectin in pet shops which will be effective against fur mites. Of course if this baby has fur mites there must be a reason for it. If it came from a pet shop it could well be from the stress that those poor creatures are subjected to :cry: Baby rabbits are delicate creatures and being taken from their mothers and transported to a strange place with a couple of changes of diet thrown in means they are prone to all sorts of stress related illnesses :cry: Better fur mites than snuffles or diarrhea I suppose :? She needs to watch him carefully to make sure he doesn't succomb to something worse. Any sign of sneezing or a runny nose needs to be taken seriously, and she needs to be careful and not give him veg unless he has been used to it.
Fur mites may well be an indicator of teeth problems as they get them when they can not groom themselves.

Thanks guys. The bunny has now been to the vets and it does have mites. No prizes for guessing where the bnun came from in the first place :?

Back