• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for rabbit proofing?

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Hi folks,

How do you people with house bunnies deal with areas where there are loads of wires, like behind the TV? I've currently tried to block it off with argos cubes, but Gasket has recently decided to try and get behind there, quite successfully! They are supervised inside the house and live outside but I'd still like to try and make this area safer. Currently thinking about getting a TV/Video unit to try and restrict access to the wires. Any other ideas? I'm already coating the cables in cable protectors but he seems to like to chew these too! :roll:

I've invested in cable protectors but they will still try to nibble, Bundle especially! :roll: We've got the TV etc on the stand it came with and fortunately it fits into the alcove quite snuggly, but I have a bunch of DVD's in those flip cases that I use to block any extra gaps they might be able to squeeze through! Fortunately that's the only area there might be a problem, everywhere else the cables for lamps etc are off the floor so they can't get at them.

My biggest problem was with them getting under the sofa - it's a recliner so I have a horror of them getting stuck in the mechanism, so I've cut cardboard boxes to size and wedged them between the sofa and the wall so they can't get down behind it any more! It doesn't look very pretty but I've put a table with a cloth in front of the exposed end so you can't see the cardboard blocker! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I'm afraid im a harsh bunny mom and use the PWS panels to block off the tv and sofa (where most of our cables are) as Sophie has a taste for them and would just never leave them alone!

Mine used to do this all the time when I first had them, eventually they got board and ignore that corner. I got some cardboard boxes and made them into houses with doors, filled them with hay and other interesting things and it distracts them.

If he's chewing through plastic cord protectors, try using thin PVC piping or cheap shower curtain rods. You might have to do a little work, but it will take him a very long time to chew through them!

Back