• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Papaya Tablets?

According to the Oxbow website
Papaya Tablets are made from freeze-dried papaya and pineapple. Natural enzymes found in both papaya and pineapple may be helpful in the prevention of hairballs in small animals.

ALL my buns really love them except for Tia-Lucy... she won't touch them! :roll: :roll:

But I'd definitely recommend them :thumb:

You can also get some from Holland & Barratts health food shops - theres the one called "Bromlyain Tablets" (sp?) which I believe is the Active Ingredient in pineapple and papaya.

I give Foz one of these a day when she moults and she seems to be ok - loves them too!

why not just add a drop of pineapple juice to there water :( (pure juice only of course) It does the trick for us and costs a lot less

Mine hate pineapple though - they only like the Oxbow tablets.

Can only go by my own experience with the tablets - they really do break down the hair.

"Papaya Tablets - These enzymes may help soften food and hair in the stomach. The best prevention for hairballs is an ample consumption of fibre in the diet, provided by large quantities of grass hay. Always make sure your rabbit is drinking plenty of water, as water consumption plays a big part in maintaining digestive motility thus improving the health and efficiency of the digestive system. Offer 1-2 tablets daily. You may increase the dosage to 3 tablets during moulting or for long haired breeds."

So - hay and water are the best options but if in doubt give your bun 3 tablets? :?

Back