• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neglected bunny

long post sorry

a while ago i posted about a 6 year old bunny that my friends dad keeps for the grandkids

the background basically is kids had the bunny - parents split up and their dad moved back in with his parents - took bunny with him for when the kids visited

now grand-dad is the only one that feeds the bunny. kids arent really bothered about her and the adult son & grandma dont feed it or even check on it

i nagged my friend to take her to the vets as i suspected she had mites from description i was given. anyway she did have mites. but not only did she have mites - she had a huge wad of poo stuck to her bum with maggots in it :( - can only assume she avoided flystrike due to the cold

i've had countless conversations with friend about this bunny - shes not been fed hay for the past 18mths :( since it moved to this house - and is only fed a cheap mix and a bit of veg (hence the squidgy poos). shes still not getting much attention. i have sent over SS (told them how to change food over gradually), a bag of hay and some toys etc. but i know that once they run out no-one will bother to get anymore. it turns out that rabbit only has newspaper in her hutch and sits in her waste for ages.

i really really dont know what to do anymore. i have begged my friend to ask the dad to give her to a rescue and he wont - he says the kids would be upset. i just feel that the bunny is suffering. my friend reckons that her dad looks after the bunny properly and its obviously not true.

they keep on asking me to go over on sundays and clean her bum - as she is in a mess again - so far i havent as i know they wont make any changes but then i feel awful for not helping her. i cant take her myself - i have no room indoors and i cant keep her outside (we are moving in a few weeks).

should i go over on sunday to clean her up and then have strong words with the grand-dad?? it sounds like he will never change.

if i can persuade them to give her up - could anyone take her??

thanks

I think - strong interferance. I have posted here before about a similar experience I had - they wouldn't give me the bunny, but then moved out and abandoned it; ie, people DON'T want to give their rabbits away, even if they don't really want the rabbit. Say you will clean the bunny, but that she needs to go to your house to do it, then go and pick her up and take her home. They then need to come and pick her up if they want her back. Hopefully you don't live too close....

And if you need somewhere for her to go - well, I am not looking for more rabbits but I do have a spare pen and will certainly look after her until she gets a home, and if she gets on with my Stuart, then maybe she'll have found a home herself. Having said that, I do live miles away. but then, maybe this is a good thing.

I've read this through and think maybe it is too strong. But my offer to have her if you need a place stands.

no it doesnt sound too strong at all :)

and i really appreciate your offer

i think that i might do that then - offer to clean her but ask my friend to bring her round to us - and say that it will take a while

and hope then that they wont bother coming back for her

If you do go over to clean her I would have very strong words and say ask why the children would be upset that the bun is gone when they cannot be bothered to look after it?

Threaten to report them to the RSPCA - anything really to try and get your message across.

Angie65 said:
From tonight I will have one temp-bun space if you get desperate

thanks!

ive emailed my friend and told her first of all to ask her dad one last time to give bunny up

if that doesnt work then i am going to try the sneaky getting her to my house trick

i though id got this sorted last time but the entire family are just stupid fools - i cant belive between 4 adults that no-one has time to go and buy a bag of hay agghh

sarahbarnsley said:
no it doesnt sound too strong at all :)

and i really appreciate your offer

i think that i might do that then - offer to clean her but ask my friend to bring her round to us - and say that it will take a while

and hope then that they wont bother coming back for her

That sounds like a plan to me :thumb: If I was in your situation I'd definitely say you'll clean her up but it has to be done at your house, then never take her back to them again! Then if they want to come and fetch her just don't be in whenever they want to come :wink: (obviously that'll only work if you have somewhere indoors to keep her as they could always steal her out of an outside hutch).

Back