• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lavender OK today 12.12.06

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
Today Lavender was half sitting half laying on the shelf in Rabsville, she didn't run to me like a crazed thing for her food like she usually does. Lavender is very food motivated.

When I went to touch her (she usually runs away) she got up, jumped off the shelf and went to lay on her vet bed under the shelf, ignoring her food.

I have made the earliest appointment I could at the vets, she's going at 4.40pm.

I last saw her eating apple at 6.30pm last night. Don't know if she has had any other food as she lives with Oxo so he has been eating so I can't monitor .

Rabs

Vet checked Lavender over and siad she is very clean and in good condition. She gave her an atni-biotic injection and a pain killer injection. She couldn't see any thing wrong with her apart from when she looked in her mouth she aid she could see small spurs but she can't see right to the back teeth.

She has asked me to book Lav in for a dental so she can wrasp of the small spurs and see if there are larger ones at the back causing her any discomfort. She's not dribbling or anything though. The vet said it's a process of elimination.

I've got her booked in for Friday morning, but I'm worried about the anesthetic.

Oxo travelled with Lavender to the vets, he complained all the way there saying he wasn't ill why did he have to go to the vets too? He also complained of feeling car sick and threatend to projectile vomit through the bars of the carrier on to the car floor.

On the journey home he was quite, Lavender was telling him horrible stories about vets with big needles.

Both are now settled back in Rabsville with a nice large clean piece of vet bed.

Rabswood

Lavender appears to be back to her old self today :D

What should I do re anesthetic and dental tomorrow? Don't want to put her under if it's not necessary :? Don't know if she has big spurs at the back?

Rabs

Oh dear, poor Miss Lavender, glad she's feeling better now though :D
Maybe you could call your vet and ask if it's really nessacery considering she's feeling better?

Well if the Vet could actually see small spurs whilst Miss Lavender was awake chances are she might have ones further back too. Lavender probably 'feels better' as the pain killer will have stopped her mouth hurting for today (it lasts about 24 hours)

I have known bunnies show no sign at all of having molar spurs until they just stop eating. They have not been dribbley or had gunky eyes or a dirty bum. But during examination under GA they have been found to have spurs which have actually cut into their cheeks or tongue :shock: :cry: Needless to say I felt TERRIBLE but there really were no symptoms :?

As Lavender is now well in herself it may be a better time to get her teeth thoroughly checked as doing so on a bun that has actually stopped eating is more risky.

I think if she were mine I'd get the Dental check done. But why not ask to discuss any worries you have about the GA with the Vet when you take Lavender in

Janex

Thanks animusuk and Jane. I was thinking the same as animusk. But what you say makes sense Jane. I will go ahead tomorrow and have it done.

Rabs

Jack's-Jane said:
Well if the Vet could actually see small spurs whilst Miss Lavender was awake chances are she might have ones further back too. Lavender probably 'feels better' as the pain killer will have stopped her mouth hurting for today (it lasts about 24 hours)

I have known bunnies show no sign at all of having molar spurs until they just stop eating. They have not been dribbley or had gunky eyes or a dirty bum. But during examination under GA they have been found to have spurs which have actually cut into their cheeks or tongue :shock: :cry: Needless to say I felt TERRIBLE but there really were no symptoms :?

As Lavender is now well in herself it may be a better time to get her teeth thoroughly checked as doing so on a bun that has actually stopped eating is more risky.

I think if she were mine I'd get the Dental check done. But why not ask to discuss any worries you have about the GA with the Vet when you take Lavender in

Janex
Definitely. A couple of years ago I noticed Totti was not eating hay - that was the only symptom, no dribbling or gunky eyes. Took him to the Vets and he needed a dental for spurs on his back teeth. Whilst under the GA they found that the very sharp spurs had pierced his cheeks. So a couple of weeks ago when I noticed him not pouncing on the food bowl, off to the Vets and yes, he had spurs again but I'd caught them this time before they pierced his cheeks.

It might be worth having a chat with your vet and seeing if they know a vet who can do the teeth without anaesthetic. They are few and far between but a true God send if your bun does turn out to need regular teeth checks. Rebecca at Pet Vac in Coventry does it and I know a few of us on this forum travel the distance to see her to save the need for our teeth buns going under.

Lavender had her dental today, she didn't have any big spurs and her tongue and cheeks are fine. She seems back to her old self. She and Oxo are spending the night indoors in the rabbit room so I can keep an eye on her. She's eating OK.

Hoping she stays healthy.

Cost me £101.80 :shock:

But if she is OK that's all that matters.

Thanks for everyones comments.

Rabswood

Glad she's OK and recovering nicely :)

I'm surprised that Tottis dental was a bargain then at £80.... I expect things to be more expensive down south

Pleased Lavender’s OK! :)

Do you use Abbey as well Rabs?

I’m dreading my next dental bill there, as they seem to have really hiked their prices.

Louise

Back