• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

FAO - rescue owners

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I was just wondering... (it's not feasible for now as I am only jsut out of uni and very poor!!! and not in one place - we move a lot) BUT... what did it take for you to set up a bunny rescue?

It's always been something I've wanted to do down the road. Obviously you'd need the space to house bunnies but what sort of outgoing are there? apart form the obvious food, vaccinations etc, what are the hidden charges?

Just would like your advice
thanks
xx

There have been a lot of posts on this subject before I will try and find some threads for you.

Before you even take an animal in I would suggest you have at least £1000 in a kitty set up for vet bills. You need transportation to collect supplies and also for picking up animals, home checks and also vet runs. A good core of people to help with fund raising will make you life less of a worry and back up from your immediate family, without this don't go there!

ARC which is the rescue I organise the piggies for and also foster rabbits for has an average vet bill which is now in excess of £1200 each month :shock:

buddabun said:
no one has any advice...? :(

Think they're all probably sitting with their heads in their hands with their accountants :lol: :lol:

I personally think the key to it is not to take on more than you can deal with/afford, which is obviously easier said than done. But a small rescue with, say, half a dozen hutches would be able to help 6 or more rabbits at a time which is not a lot but better than doing nothing.

thanks guys, it's good to know the sort of figures you're looking at. Like I say, I'm not looking/can't afford to do anything at the moment but it's good to knwo for the future.. hoepfully I can help some little bunnies further down the road.

a word of warning...I planned to only take in 4 at a time.. :shock: :lol: :lol:
and do be aware that you can get rabbits dumped on your doorstep..you can have very ill rabbits which need round the clock nursing..or which can infect your own bunnies...think carefully before you start and, as has already been said, try helping out a local rescue first..maybe as a fosterer..

I am hopefully going to start fostering bunnies if & when it's needed... To start a rescue it one hell of a big operation.. Like the people on here have said it takes a huge amount of money just in vet bills per month..
And once people know you are taking in buns they will start being dumped at you door... I hold my hands up to people running these rescues I really admire them. I hope maybe we can all donate a little this Christmas ? I intend too..

I have two bunnies one we've had for 14 months & a rescue one nearly two weeks ago & I am dreading the vets bill next week, I'm looking at £170 bill to have both vacs,checks & Molly spayed but hey that'll be my Christmas present to me & my hubby LOl...

karen354 said:
I am hopefully going to start fostering bunnies if & when it's needed... To start a rescue it one **** of a big operation.. Like the people on here have said it takes a huge amount of money just in vet bills per month..
And once people know you are taking in buns they will start being dumped at you door... I hold my hands up to people running these rescues I really admire them. I hope maybe we can all donate a little this Christmas ? I intend too..

I have two bunnies one we've had for 14 months & a rescue one nearly two weeks ago & I am dreading the vets bill next week, I'm looking at £170 bill to have both vacs,checks & Molly spayed but hey that'll be my Christmas present to me & my hubby LOl...

As well as donating you can sponsor a longterm bunny or a hutch which is a great idea :D

Back