• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ring Cutter - anyone?

Caz

Mama Doe
Cosmos ring is getting a bit tight now (it still spins) and the vet remarked when they had their boosters last week it will be time to think about getting it off. However just to be a pain they can only do it under anaesthetic with a dremel and obviously none of us want to put him through a GA unless absolutely necessary.

Does anyone know where I can get a ring cutter from or does anyone local to Cambridge/Peterborough have one I could borrow? I would even pay postage/small donation to rescue of owner's choice if someone would send me theirs to borrow who lives further affield.

It is a metal ring for a standard rex and I am not happy about allowing hubby near it with a pair of tin-snips either :roll: !

Cheers

Caz

Ive heard people say you shouldnt do it yourself as could cause a nasty injury :?

Rowan had his taken off when he was under GA being neutered.

mandy said:
Ive heard people say you shouldnt do it yourself as could cause a nasty injury :?

Rowan had his taken off when he was under GA being neutered.

i firmly advise you to have a vet remove the ring. due to its tightfiting nature it would be horrificly easy to cause a disabilitating injury to your rabbit.

I have seen how hard it is to cut a Rabbit Ring and how relatively easy it is to cause an accidental and yet serious injury to a Rabbit :cry:
If I had a Bun with one of the hateful things on I would not attempt to remove it myself.

Just a personal opinion :D

Janex

There's 3 here at minute with them on (2 strays & a free ad), they are getting removed by the vet on Friday :D I wouldn't risk it myself either. It's bad enough trimming claws!!!

It was the vet who recommended finding a place with a ring cutter in the first place :wink: !

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product.../3568?osCsid=7c503996af0421a36e32669018d30f41

That is what I was after - thanks as that is what I was told P@H use on ringed bunnies they get and some breeders use before selling off old stock. I was told they don't damage skin as you slide the protective section under the ring before applying the cutter, so the cutter is completely protected from the skin and my husband is used to restraining the rabbits when I clip their nails or inject them (in the past).

Since Cosmos has been neutered and (touch wood) he is perfectly healthy I won't be putting him under GA any time soon and am not going to sign up to a new vet who has a ring cutter now I have finally found one up here I am happy with for both rabbits and dogs.

I guess if no one experienced with these comes forward to offer me a hand I will purchase one and donate it to any rescue that asks after I have finished with it.

I can assure you I wouldn't be attempting it if I didn't think I was perfectly capable of ensuring Cosmos' safety - I am used to delicate procedures through my work and trust myself far more than a vet - I am not a complete numpty :wink: !

Caz

My vet strongly advised not to do it when a rabbit is conscious especially with a giant breed as they have a very powerful kick, which could break the leg or back if somebody was trying to cut the ring off.

Bruce my French Lop has a BRC ring on and thankfully it doesn’t cause him any problems. If he ever needs to go to the vet’s he will be having it off under sedation.

Louise

Call me ignorant but why would someone put a ring around a rabbit's leg (I'm assuming it's a leg and I'm assuming it's for identification or something random??)

Don't they usually use those for monitoring the movements of wild birds???

Either way I hope you get it sorted...

buddabun said:
Call me ignorant but why would someone put a ring around a rabbit's leg (I'm assuming it's a leg and I'm assuming it's for identification or something random??)

Don't they usually use those for monitoring the movements of wild birds???

Either way I hope you get it sorted...

If the Rabbit is bred by a BRC Breeder and is intended for the Show Circuit the Bun will be rung with the BRC Breeders unique details

:roll:

I'll say no more.....

Janex

Back