• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

conditions of Animal rescues

karen354

Warren Veteran
Hi,Just wondered if most animal rescue places usually have runs for the bunnies to stretch their legs? I was at one last week & noticed there were no runs just hutches... They had dogs there aswell but very close to the rabbit cages, my bunny I got from there is very very scared of noise & wondered if the constant dog barking has scared her for life. .. The cages were clean enough but it was such a depressing place for the buns I wanted to bring them all home with me.

I have two rescue hutches, I'm not a proper rescue just do what I can and they both have attached runs.

A wise woman off this forum once pm'd me after I saw a rescue which I really didn't like and it went something like.

The rescue are a half way house and if the buns were not there, what would of happened to them? If they are fed watered, warm and surviving then maybe that is not so bad, because at least they've got a chance of going to a better home eventually. You have to think of rescues as being a top gap where the buns basic needs are met and thaty they are just waiting for their new Mom and Dad.

Hope that make sense?

SOAD said:
I
A wise woman off this forum once pm'd me after I saw a rescue which I really didn't like and it went something like.

The rescue are a half way house and if the buns were not there, what would of happened to them? If they are fed watered, warm and surviving then maybe that is not so bad, because at least they've got a chance of going to a better home eventually. You have to think of rescues as being a top gap where the buns basic needs are met and thaty they are just waiting for their new Mom and Dad.

A good point I think. As long as they are loved in rescue, fed and kept safe and well - at least its better from where they come from.

I got Lola from a rescue where she was kept in a cage - as a 14lb frenchie it wasnt ideal - BUT she was very well loved, well fed and well looked after - I dread to think what the alternative would have been.

I have 2 areas I separate off for my buns where one area is about 24 foot by 5 foot, the other area is smaller. The buns are let out in these areas when I am at home, but not when I am working due to the risk of predators. I also have 4 piggie runs I use, dependent on how many piggies I have in depends on how long each day they are allowed out.

As SOAD says hopefully the rabbits and piggies are here for only a short while before they are rehomed, for some of these animals they are far better off in our double storey hutches or the 6 footer and beiong let out when we are able than being shut away in smallish hutches which many were prior to arriving with us.

I also know a rescue that is far from ideal, and there are two main reasons: one is that 'no animal is turned away', and one is that they are not very good at sexing and so get more rabbits than they bargained for. The second reason frustrates me - I can understand why they cannot afford to spay/neuter, but if you create more rabbits this seems a false economy. The first reason is laudable, and all admiration to people willing to take on such a responsilbility.

I agree with Tree's wise woman
I think as long as the buns get the basics, they should be ok short-term, it can't be easy to give massive numbers of buns individual time to run around or pay for that many runs.
The brave and noble people who run rescues can hardly say no when faced with rabbits which get no care

animusuk said:
it can't be easy to give massive numbers of buns individual time to run around or pay for that many runs.

It is also the space available, sometimes a compromise has to be met, the majority of rescues work out of back gardens and ground space can be quite limited. If a decent size run was attatched to every hutch, it would mean less hutches available or perhaps rabbits would have to have smaller hutches. For many rescues who are under the continuous pressure of lack of space to take any more rabbits in, the consideration of providing runs for all unfortuntely cannot be considered.

Thanks for the replys everyone.... I just thought i would get your thoughts because this is the first rescue I've ever been to... I do agree if they weren't offered a home there than god knows what would of happened to them... I do intend to go back in the next year or so & get another 2, Molly I had from there last week is beautiful but she needs injections & she hasn't been spayed so need to pay for that first before I consider getting anymore...

the other thing is, eventhough there is no running space, the owner can take the bunny, one hour at a time, and let one of them do their hopping in the backyard or along whatever empty area in that place. Then put back the bunny and swap to another one.

My own permaneent buns are kept inside a shed with permanent run space
The rescues are kept in hutches and normally at least 2 in the house in indoor cages....I have 8 runs of varying sizes and the buns come out in these on a rota basis..weather and time permitting...
Some of the bunsters go to fosterers, this means they have permanent run space and/or lots more one to one attention..
I have been very fortunate in that I have mananged to rehome most of the rabbits fairly quickly and as Tree has said..they are warm , safe, fed and watered and most get cuddles everyday (it's not hard to do this part of the job!) and get vet attention if needed....MUCH better than the places a lot of them have come from.
I am aware that it's not ideal but I really do try to give them attention every day and get to know the individual personalities of each animal, so they can be homed without the regular occurrance of being returned..so thier new home is indeed their forever one.
I have taken in a lot of animals my local RSPCA have been unable to take and I dread to think what would have happened to some if they hadn't come here....for some it's still too late..(See Belle in pics and stories :( )
Lynda M's Teddy and Bertie and Angie65's Polly would all have died if not come to Honeybunnies..As would Reuby-doos and his brother....So I think the rabbits themselves would choose a smaller halfway home over the alternative every time! :D

honeybunny said:
My own permaneent buns are kept inside a shed with permanent run space
The rescues are kept in hutches and normally at least 2 in the house in indoor cages....I have 8 runs of varying sizes and the buns come out in these on a rota basis..weather and time permitting...
Some of the bunsters go to fosterers, this means they have permanent run space and/or lots more one to one attention..
I have been very fortunate in that I have mananged to rehome most of the rabbits fairly quickly and as Tree has said..they are warm , safe, fed and watered and most get cuddles everyday (it's hard not to do this part of the job!) and get vet attention if needed....MUCH better than the places a lot of them have come from.
I am aware that it's not ideal but I really do try to give them attention every day and get to know the individual personalities of each animal, so they can be homed without the regular occurrance of being returned..so there new home is indeed their forever one.
I have taken in a lot of animals my local RSPCA have been unable to take and I dread to think what would have happened to some if they hadn't come here....for some it's still too late..(See Belle in pics and stories :( )
Lynda M's Teddy and Bertie and Angie65's Polly would all have died if not come to Honeybunnies..As would Reuby-doos and his brother....So I think the rabbits themselves would choose a smaller halfway home over the alternative every time! :D

Polly :love: I think she's started to lurve me. She's been coming over for daily nose rubs recently. It's only taken her a year!! :lol:

I some ways it could be argued that limiting the space has benefits for newly rescued rabbits. Many have had limited exercise/housing before and it's best to build fitness up gradually. Rabbits that have had poor diet/exercise levels previously could injure themselves if they suddenly start doing laps of a field :) Putting a rabbit used to a small space in a large open area could also be very stressful so again building things up gradually may help the rabbit adapt.

Not that I'm advocating small enclosures as anything other than a temporary setting and there is a difference between small and shoebox :lol:

Back