• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny anaesthetics..........

DaisyMay

Warren Scout
I'm a trainee veterinary nurse and at the practice I work at the vets use Domitor and Ketamine to anaesthetise rabbits for dentals etc but was wondering what other peoples vets use? :?
Last time my bunny Daisy had a dental she had very bad diarrhoea which lead to gastric stasis so if she needs a dental again we are just going to use Isoflurane as hopefully it won't have such a bad effect on her. I'm just a bit worried that having a mask over her face and nasty smelling gas to breathe in might stress her out as well :shock: I just don't know what would be best. :?

My Vet uses Domitor and Ketamine. Then Antisedan as the 'reversal'
If necessary she tops them up on Isofluorane. But as you know with just Isoflo' there is always the risk of 'breath holding'

Janex

It may be different in the UK, but most rabbit vets in the US use only Isoflorane (sp?). That's actually on the list of questions the House Rabbit Society provides to ask a new vet- which anesthetic they use. Isoflorane is supposed to be the correct answer.

Supposedly it's not very stressful.

Thanks for your reply. I know thats what I'm worried about. I'm just so worried that she will have a reaction like last time :( . I thought I was going to loose her. I'm just not sure what to do for the best :? We do dentals on rabbits most days at work and they always seem to recover well after Dom/Ket and Antisedan but daisy just seemed really slow to come round last time and then she ended up at the emergency vets for the weekend! Bunnies are such a worry.

DaisyMay said:
Thanks for your reply. I know thats what I'm worried about. I'm just so worried that she will have a reaction like last time :( . I thought I was going to loose her. I'm just not sure what to do for the best :? We do dentals on rabbits most days at work and they always seem to recover well after Dom/Ket and Antisedan but daisy just seemed really slow to come round last time and then she ended up at the emergency vets for the weekend! Bunnies are such a worry.

How old is Daisy? Older Bunnies tend to need a lower dose of Ketamine/Domitor and they do take longer to come round

If Daisy is a young Rabbit then why not get a blood profile done before the next GA to check her renal function etc
Sub-cut/IV Hartmanns after the GA may help too

Janex

Hi. She is 6. I took her into work with me today as her poos were very small on sun and she has spurs on her teeth again so is going in for a dental tomorrow. I'm very worried about it :( . I hand reared her from a day old and am so attached to her I treat her like a baby. I think everyone at work thinks I'm mad :D so I just hope she is alright. I've got her on Fibreplex so hopefully that may help and I'm going to buy her loads of nice tasty greens as simetimes its really hard trying to get her to eat again .

I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but Travis was poorly after a dental once and when I took him back, my vet said they'd tried a different GA to usual. Apparently he usually has one where he wakes up straight away and is instantly pretty alert. But this one time, they used one which brings them round slower? This is the one he had a reaction too, so his notes very clearly say not to use this one again. And every time he has a dental my vet always writes on the screen notes before hand that whoever does it is only to use a certain GA :D

Back