• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2nd day bonding (problems?)

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Bonding experts I need some advice!! Fozzie, Archie and Maddie were ok overnight together so this morning we moved them into their shed. It was fine under supervision for about 30 mins, but then Fozzie decided to attack Maddie and there was alot of fur being pulled out.

Poor Maddie is so scared and shes not moved from the little tent for a few hours now, its always Foz that starts the chasing.

I know its best to let them sort this out but its awful to watch. And what should i do tonight? I can division off some room (still in the shed) for Maddie so i know she won't be attacked - will this be advisable or will it prevent the bonding progressing?

I really don't want Maddie to be so scared and really want this to work out for her. What should I do for the best?

did you disinfect the shed thoroughly? It sounds as though Foz stil recognises it as his territory.

Could you leave them on neutral territory for a few days?

Hi Mandy - i cleaned out the shed as best i could before they went in, but yes Fozzie is still seeing it as her territory and doesn't seem to want Maddie there at all.

Its strange though because sometimes Fozzie is grooming Maddie, othertimes she just chases her and things are getting knocked over and banged into. I feel awful for them.

The only place neutral is upstairs in the house really - we could move the spare room around i suppose and shut off the heating? Do you think it was too early for them to go into Fozzies territory? They were doing ok in our hallway (first introduction point).

i think i would move them into the spare room for a few days and completely empty the shed scrub it down and move it around a bit before you put them back in, im sure it will settle down in a few days

Mad Bunster said:
Hi Mandy - i cleaned out the shed as best i could before they went in, but yes Fozzie is still seeing it as her territory and doesn't seem to want Maddie there at all.

Its strange though because sometimes Fozzie is grooming Maddie, othertimes she just chases her and things are getting knocked over and banged into. I feel awful for them.

The only place neutral is upstairs in the house really - we could move the spare room around i suppose and shut off the heating? Do you think it was too early for them to go into Fozzies territory? They were doing ok in our hallway (first introduction point).

Well I know some people only leave them on neutral territory for say, 2 hours and it obviously works for them. but I prefer longer (ive only done 3 bondings though!)

Maybe other people will have different ideas.

Mad Bunster said:

I done this with Fia and Zion and it worked a treat. I left them in the upstairs bedroom for 3 days and all humping and chasing had fizzled out by day 2.

What did you clean the shed out with? Just soapy water isn't going to do the trick. I scrubbed my playhouse with straight white vinegar all over, especially so in all places where litters trays were placed and accidents had occured. It's pretty strong and so it will over power any old smells until they start marking it as their territory again. I had no problems with Zion thinking the playhouse was his once I put them back in.

Good luck

Shiv

Right oh - I've just rescued Maddie from the shed there was a scuffle starting as i went in (or is it my presence doing it??). Shes having some food and a chill out while we get the carpet offcut out of the loft and sort out the spare room.

I used a hutch disinfectant to clean it out so will get a load of vinegar and try moving the shed around too.

One more question - what should i put in the neutral territory area... any toys or tunnels or the old litter tray - or should i keep everything new (I have a spare new litter tray at least).

I would use litter trays they have all used so they get used to eachothers smells. Don't keep chaninging the litter or the hay - just top it up with some more.

I put a small handful of pellets spread out on the floor so they had to go in search of them, a pet carrier, a box with shredded paper and hay, lots of toys and their chube. Oh and some tastey veg to start off with. I sat there (luckily I had the telly but I turned off the heating and had the window open - was freeeeezing!!) with my water spray canister to hand so they if anything happened they would get a firm squirt in the face. Zion went mad at Fia on one occassion and I drenched him and after that it was just normal chasing around.

Good luck. They will be fine. Remember - chasing, fur pulling, thumping, humping and grunting are all normal. If there's bloody then separate them.

Shiv, Zi & Fia

Well thanks for all the tips - it seems its definately a territorial problem for Fozzie (shes normally so placid!). They are in my spare bedroom (glad my parents didn't stay over this weekend!). Theres been no problems so far but Maddie is sitting quietly in the corner and the others are hopping about and eating hay.

Well its veggie time now so i'll spread them on the floor so theres no jostling at a bowl and see how that goes.

Thanks everyone, will see how we go now! Think I'll be taking some holidays from work this week!!!

the last lot i bonded i had them in the kitchen for 8 days. After the intial chasing etc had calmed down and they seemed fine all cuddling up and cleaning each other after (2 days) i put them outside into a freshly painted wendyhouse....one of the girls whose house it used to be became all territorial towards 2 of the other girls (who she previously cleaned and cuddled up to when they were in kitchen!!) so, i brought them all back in and they remained in the kitchen for 6 days!i left them with the bare minimum of toys and in the end removed a hutch i had put in for them as she became territoral over that! so they had loads of big litter trays dotted around kitchen. Also rubbed them all down with lavender oil. They are fine now (see stories and photos). Sometimes i think that some rabbits need a little longer especially if they will be returning to their original territory.

I had a vets appt after H & H's first nite 2gther and the vet told me to leave them at least 1 more night, in the end I left them 4 nights to be sure. The longer the better as the more likely they are to start to forget that it was ever their's alone

Yep - that is how it has been today.

Maybe changing the hutch would be a good idea here too as the one in the shed has been Fozzies hutch for 3 years - so its well engrained with her scents.

Things have been fine in "their bedroom" now, just a little bit of argy-bargy, but much better than before.

I'll be getting a large bottle of vinegar/ lavender oil tomorrow and applying liberally to the shed! And i'll think about a hutch swap too.

Thanks for everyones advice - its much appreciated as I just want the new little lady to be happy!

Things seem to be going well apart from the shed bit, so I think the advice on totally disinfecting the shed is a good idea. Kerry don't worry if things don't work out :D , it would be great if it does as it would be really nice for Maddie to be living with you as I know she will be really loved and spoilt.

I will take Fozzie :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love her she is sooo cuddly and snuggly

I'm keeping them in the house for another 24hours i think. The shed is still drying out from a good scrubbing :shock: so i'll paint it tomorrow and try them again in a day or two.

Theres a little bit of grunting from Fozzie still, but I think shes grumpy at them both now!

Maddie is such a darling and everytime I got to put hay or food in her head is under my hand for a rub!! Shes staying! :D

It seems to be going ok, You keep Maddie and I'll have Fozzie :lol: :lol:
I bet Stephen is cursing me after all the trouble you have had to go to try and bond these three. Tell him I'm sorry :(

You won't believe it but Steve is really really taken with her - he is in "checking" on them more than me! Hes even been discussing how - if it came to it - we could have two hutches and runs and how the shed would be rearranged to do that! :shock:

So we've not had our xmas shopping trip today - been to buy disinfectant and paint instead! :lol: ...oh and a few more toys.... :oops:

Fozzie the little madam - who would have thought it? Who said she was laid back! Shes turning half lop eared actually - one up and one horizontal at the moment!! :lol:

Gemma, that means Kerry will only have Maddie, so no bonding problems as I'm having Fozzie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back