• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please someone say something to stop me....

Beaney

Mama Doe
.... buying a rabbit.

Brief history - my local pet store sells rabbits and piggys. Whilst on principle, I don't like animals in shops, as far as pet shops go, this one is very good.

Anyway - a couple of months ago they had a litter of Mini Rexs' in. They were a gorgeous colour -almost blue and I just fell in love with them. Now 2 months later they have one left. I was chatting to the owner of the store about the remaining doe. The owner says the problem is that now she is over 4 months old she no longer looks like a baby - and she is competing against mini lops and dutches that are just so small and 'cute'. She has said that she probably won't get rexs' in from now on as they don't sell well at all :cry:

She has reduced the price down (from £45 to £20) but still no one wants her :cry:

I sat in there with my face practically up against the mesh and she was sniffing me. She is so beautiful. As I said, this pet shop is actually very good as far as pet shops go but this lovely lady really needs a proper hom now. She is in a fairly big cage (not the space I could give her here) but it is not too bad. She had toys and plentyof hay etc. But still.....

This has become a bit of a long post - sorry. I have the space here - I have a spare hutch and run and a rabbit proof garden. I could go buy her and look at either bonding her with my old boy (though admittedly not sure about that as not sure what he would think of a young un) or approach a rescue for a husbun once I have had her spayed but I don't want to buy a rabbit from a pet shop...Talk about rock and hard place.... Before I go and get her - Please someone talk me out of it!

Not going to talk you out of it, sorry :D Sounds like you've fallen in love with her, you know the probs with petshops but if you feel this girl is yours and don't want her to end up anywhere I'd personally go for it. Maybe you could persuade the owner to give her to you? And it would mean rescuing a husbun for her so that's two rabbits to have a good home.

That's why I try to not to look in petshops and adverts, all buns deserve a home don't they, but you'll be making a place free for another one to come along :(

At the end of the day it's up to you

I can't talk you out of it either, sorry. As Kathryn said you have fallen for this bun and every bun needs a home whether it be from a rescue, breeder or pet shop.

If it were me and I had the space and the time and money I would deffo go for it. :D

I would have to agree with Kayjay and Justine :D You know the dangers of petshops, and you knwo how some treat their animals. But, you obviously have thought long and hard about this, and I think you should go for it :D I know you are not making an impulse buy, and you have watched this baby sit there for months :D Go rescue her!

Leah xx

I have to agree, you sound as though you have fallen for the little lady and you have thought long and hard about her so go get her. :D Then all you need to do is search RR for a husbun for her :wink: That way a rescue bun gets a home and so does she and they can live together happily forever :love:

Stop beating yourself up about it.......just go and get her, as others have said you have the space and she needs a home.

Could you try to get her for free? I personally wouldn't buy her though, it just convinces them they can sell buns no matter what age :(

I wouldnt pay for her, but you could ask if they will allow her to go for free.

BTW, £45 seems rather inflated :? (which i suppose is a good thing as would stop people impulse buying). I would think they'd still be making a tidy profit on selling her at £20 though....most breeders seem to sell rexes for that price or less anyway :? :? (even blue ones.)

mandy said:
BTW, £45 seems rather inflated :? (which i suppose is a good thing as would stop people impulse buying). I would think they'd still be making a tidy profit on selling her at £20 though....most breeders seem to sell rexes for that price or less anyway :? :? (even blue ones.)

My local pet place in a garden centre have two of the most gorgeous french lops and they are £69.99 EACH!!! :shock: :shock: No wonder they have been there so long. They really are stunning and are kept in a glass tank under lights with saw dust. I must get a sneaky pic. They are massive too - I am convinced they must be a giant-x. I cannot believe they can justify the price - you pay less at a rescue!!! They sell rexes for £30. Just madness. Although I did see the most enormous indoor cage they were selling the other day that comforted me - just as long as they don't sell the french lops with it! :shock: :?

Personally, I'd try to get her for less money ... but every bunny is entitled to a home. Did she ask to be born and sold to a pet shop?!! :cry: X

The pet shop here in Kingston has had one bunny in for several months, it has lost the "cuteness factor", but they are still trying to sell him for 50 Pounds. He looks so bored in his little cage.
I'd ask the owner of your pet shop if you can have the bunny for free. Or first ask him what will happen if they can't sell it.

beckiboo186 said:
Personally, I'd try to get her for less money ... but every bunny is entitled to a home. Did she ask to be born and sold to a pet shop?!! :cry: X

If you follow that logic, should you always go and buy buns from petshops rather than go to rescues? :?

honeybunny said:
this is why petshops are best avoided :(

Agreed! I have already decided to only buy supplies from the internet from now on. All the pet shops in my area sell livestock so I am probably better off avoiding them completly.

mandy said:
I wouldnt pay for her, but you could ask if they will allow her to go for free.

BTW, £45 seems rather inflated (which i suppose is a good thing as would stop people impulse buying). I would think they'd still be making a tidy profit on selling her at £20 though....most breeders seem to sell rexes for that price or less anyway (even blue ones.)

I know - there were Mini Lops for sale for £45 each guinea pigs for £48 per pair. It does seem like a lot though I agree, it makes it less likely for impulse buyers.

honeybunny said:
Why not take a few minutes to look throught the long termers on RR?
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/longstay.asp

then think if buying a bun is still what you wish to do..perhaps one of the buns in the list above may pull at your heartstrings too!

Awww, such gorgeous bunnys and some of their stories are so sad.... It just makes me wish I had won the lottery and I would adopt them all. My heartstrings are well and truly pulled - I just wish I could take them all.

kayjay said:
Not going to talk you out of it, sorry Sounds like you've fallen in love with her, you know the probs with petshops but if you feel this girl is yours and don't want her to end up anywhere I'd personally go for it. Maybe you could persuade the owner to give her to you? And it would mean rescuing a husbun for her so that's two rabbits to have a good home.

That's why I try to not to look in petshops and adverts, all buns deserve a home don't they, but you'll be making a place free for another one to come along

At the end of the day it's up to you

It is so hard because I agree with you, every bun deserves a good home I just don't want to be lining the pockets of pet shops. I think I may speak to the owner and see if she will hand her over for free - that way at least she is not profitting. She has already said she probably won't be stocking rexs' anymore so she won't be replaced with another rex....

I just can not get her out of my head..... I can't do anything about it now so going to sleep on it some more. When I went in there today as I was walking towards the rabbits pens I was saying over and over to myself, please be sold - but there she was...

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll keep you informed....

Back