• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know if I can do this??

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi,

I'm going away over Christmas and my buns and hamster are staying with my Mum for 3 days.

Alice has problems with her gut where it slows down and either liquid feeding or a shot of metaclopromide always does the trick. My Mum is terrified that this will happen when she's looking after Alice because she's not so confident at force feeding Alice.

I'm going to ask the vet if there is anything we can do to prevent it. I'm thinking along the lines of metaclopromide the day she goes to Mum's or if they'll give me a shot to give to her for if it did happen (I would have to drive back to give the injection).

I know they give Metaclopromide after an op, but do you know if this would be allowed even if there isn't anything wrong with her. It comes on so quickly, and usually at the weekend so it'd be sods law it'll happen on Xmas Eve!

Idea's please!?

Gem xx

I dont think it is a good idea to give Metaclopromide 'just incase'
For a start it only lasts for 8 hours once given!! So if you gave it before you go then what happens if she gets poorly the next day
Also, Metaclopromide is not a drug to be administered without being CERTAIN there is no GI obstruction. Giving Metoclop' to an obstucted Bun causes perforation of the intestines which is fatal :cry:

I would take Alice to your Mum's a couple of days before you go away. That way Alice will have time to settle in and any adverse effects from the stress of a new environment would be able to be addressed by you.
Ask your Mum to adhere STRICTLY to Alice's routine (feed times etc)
Only feed her what she is used to (Alice, not your Mum :lol: )
Check out the emergency Veterinary cover and make sure your Mum has the relevent contact numbers
Ask you Mum to ensure Alice's cage/hutch is in a quiet place to avoid stress from visitors etc.

Do you know why Alice has recurrent GI motility problems?
Has your Vet done a thorough investigation (teeth, diet,pain etc)?

Hope some of this helps

Janex

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your advice. I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure.

I'll be going to my Mum's a few days before anyway, so will be taking all the animals with me. I'll make sure that she knows the routine and I'm sure she'll stick to it. We're only away for 3 nights so I'm sure Alice will be fine.

I have asked the vets several times what the cause of her gut problems could be. They've ruled out her teeth because she only has the one and it's checked every time we go to the vets. It could possibly be her diet because she can't eat hay. I now give her Protexin pro-fibre and am in the process of changing her to Allen & Page to increase her fibre intake. I haven't got a clue what else it could be, the abscess in her ear has now gone and her eye ulcer is on the mend. Alice is also on Metacam long term for the moment as well so she shouldn't stop eating from pain.

To be honest, I'm at my wits end. I can't leave them with anyone for even a weekend because I worry about her constantly! I wish I could get this resolved because she has always been a really good eater until all her health problems started.

Is there anything you can suggest that we haven't already checked for?

Gemma xx

Is she on oral Metacam? If so it might be a good idea to ask your Vet if Alice can also be prescribed an anti-ulcer medication (Ranitidine -AKA 'Zantac' or Cimetidine AKA 'Tagamet) Metacam is a Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory and one of the POSSIBLE side-effects of longterm use is ulceration of the GI tract

When you say Alice only has one tooth do you mean one MOLAR tooth?
If not and it is just her Incisor that is checked she may well have probs with her molars.

Getting her fluid intake up and ensuring that she exercises will also help promote GI motility. The change to A+P pellets is a good idea BUT I would avoid doing this just before you go away. Leave any changes of any sort until after Christmas/New Year. Dont tempt fate!! :wink:

Janex

Janex

Great advice from Jane. :thumb:

I've had recurrent problems in my 2 bunnies, but *touches wood* they haven't had any issues since their fibre intake went higher. So, it could be as simple as that for your bun.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. :)

I'll ask for the anti-ulcer meds, we don't want any extra problems!

As far as I know, Alice has only one tooth full stop! :? Her front teeth (are they incisors :oops: ) were removed a few years ago and are just tiny stumps now. All her others have either dropped out or had to be removed!

Gemma xx

AliBenMummy said:
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. :)

I'll ask for the anti-ulcer meds, we don't want any extra problems!

As far as I know, Alice has only one tooth full stop! :? Her front teeth (are they incisors :oops: ) were removed a few years ago and are just tiny stumps now. All her others have either dropped out or had to be removed!

Gemma xx

Awwww bless her!!
The only other thing I can think of is asking the Vet to check there are no pockets of infection in Alice's gums (gingivitis) or if Alice has a lumpy mandible indicating eruption of what remains of the molar roots into her jawbone. Although both these conditions are more likely to cause ongoing discomfort rather than episodic... :?

Janex

Hi there,

We were supposed to go to the vets last night, but they had a power cut and postponed us until this morning.

Good news though, Alice has been discharged with her eye problem although I'm using the Tiacil for a few more days.

In terms of getting her gut moving, she had slowed down again yesterday and nothing I tried to coax her with seemed to work. I decided that she was a bit lazy and could do with being a bit more active as she seemed fine in herself. So, I got both buns out of their hutches and brought them inside - Benny chased Alice round for a while until she'd had enough, then I gave her some Infacol and tummy rubs. It did the trick! This morning she'd eaten all her food from the night before and in the space of an hour she'd eaten all of her breakfast this morning.

So, I'm thinking that Alice is a lazy bun and I might avoid some of the gut problems if I keep her moving. Normally when I bring her into the house, she just sits next to us and goes to sleep!!!

Back