• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Silly woman

I don't know if she really wants a rabbit at least with a frenchie he won't be able to pick it up and lug it around. So will have to be content with stroking it on the floor. :)

Tell her to get him a couple of guinea pigs!

Re: Tell her to get him a couple of guinea pigs!

Please do NOT suggest guinea pigs as a second choice to rabbits - they need just as much care and attention, and are not, as many believe, some sort of easy alternative - the Labour Saved Rabbit.

I have just rescued 2 guinea pigs dumped in a local wood - it took me 7 days and they are in a dreadful state. Presumably they were bought to amuse the kids, and to teach them responsibility!!

As a generalisation, children and pets do not seem to be a happy combination, especially for the pets, who are the one's to suffer (obviously, there are shining exceptions).

Sue said:

Please do NOT suggest guinea pigs as a second choice to rabbits - they need just as much care and attention, and are not, as many believe, some sort of easy alternative - the Labour Saved Rabbit.

I have just rescued 2 guinea pigs dumped in a local wood - it took me 7 days and they are in a dreadful state. Presumably they were bought to amuse the kids, and to teach them responsibility!!

As a generalisation, children and pets do not seem to be a happy combination, especially for the pets, who are the one's to suffer (obviously, there are shining exceptions).

Ooh, sorry Sue, I didn't think, it was a bit of an 'in' joke between Kathryn and myself. We have both recently discovered to joys of keeping guinea pigs and think they make a much better pet for children - under close supervision of course - than rabbits. I have both piggers and rabbits so fully understand the commitment to care that both need. I don't have a problem with children having pets as long as parents are fully prepared to do the looking after and supervise closely any contact (and not allow contact where appropriate, e.g. I would never let my one year old have physical contact with them). I do not agree with parents getting a child a pet and expecting them to look after them.

Hope your rescue pigs are ok and sorry again for appearing flippant, it wasn't my intention, as I said, didn't think.

Gemma x

Piggies

Hi Gemma,

Sorry (everso) - if I was a little too fired-up - I am still just SO upset over the Wood Pigs - how ever anyone could deliberately abandon such helpless creatures to a certain death is beyond me.

The local paper is running a piece on them, and I have printed off lots about rescues to give to them.

Thanks for being a Piggy Appreciator - Power to The Pigs!!!

Don't worry Sue, I quite understand and I realise how it may have come across :oops: . Kathryn and myself have done some rescuing/rehoming and have been quite upset at what we have seen so it is easy to get fired up by things like this. I agree, I have no idea how people can just abandon animals, they must have no conscience. Not sure if you've seen my Free-ad pig threads in the past, I rehomed a pregnant pig and a young boar that was highlighted on here. She is in my kitchen now due anyday, when the woman handed her over she wasn't the least bit interested in the pig's future, she asked me no questions and didn't ask to be kept informed of how she gets on or anything. Unbelievable.

My hubby is just outside now putting the finishing touches to my bunny/pig shed, can't wait to get everyone moved in!

Piggies

Hi Gemma,

I hadn't seen your rescue thread (whoops!! :oops: ) - please, how do I get to it?

I have just reserved the two free-ad sows in Halifax (the plan being to have the Woodies neutered and give them a 'wife' each).

So sorry again!

Hi Gemma :wave: Glad to hear Dave's getting on with your shed, hope it's going to be done for when I'm looking after your piggies next??? They'll be in the lap of luxury I think.

Any signs of little paws yet?

Re: Sily woman

Sue said:
Hi Gemma,

I've found the thread, thanks - she is BEAUTIFUL!!

She's also the size of a horse, never mind a guinea pig :lol: :lol: I really hope she gives birth soon, poor thing. She's lovely natured as well :D

She is a very nice pig and has learned that wheeking very loudly when she hears the fridge open is THE way to get what she wants! Bless her, she is rather large, Kathryn is right, hoping it won't be too much longer, I could hear the baby's teeth grinding last week so it must be close I think!

Back