• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Velveteen Lops??

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
I went into a local petstore today to have a look around, and of course I checked out the rabbits :D I saw the usual lops, nethies, and then I was absolutly shocked when I saw a little velveteen lop baby, 7 weeks old there :shock: My question is, when they are young, does their fur/skin look weird?? It almost looked like he had a skin infection that made him lose some of his hair, but then I realized that Velveteen lops do have a different style hair, so maybe that is what they look like as babies! :?

Does anyone know?

Leah xx

That doesn't sound too good :? The poor baby is probably sick :cry:
Does anyone know for certain before I go back and let them know??

Leah xx

I do know that their fur is different than other breeds, so that is why I was thinking that maybe their fur grew in differently/looked different than regular babies. Maybe I am wrong though, and the baby is just sick :?

More advice is still appreciated :D

Leah xx

A velveteen lop is a bit like an english lop with rex fur :) Possibly they were moulting and thats why they looked funny.

Do 7 week old babies moult?
And if the rabbit wasn't moulting (it really didn't look like it was) then are we concluding that something was wrong? Sorry for all of the questions, I want to make sure that the poor ickle baby is healthy :D :D :D

Leah xx

Babies moult around 6 weeks ish I think. I don't know enough to say for definate but with a coat like that a molt could make them look very strange.

babyvelveteen.jpg

opaldoe.jpg

river_baby.gif

Lopsa2weeks.jpg

Picture867.jpg

Janex

runnybabbit as a velveteen as it came into my rescue last January. I have to say I wondered what breed it was as I had never seen anything like him. He was an outside and I was panicking when he came in as I thought his fur wasn't thick enough to be outside he was only 12wks. His fur hasn't changed much but looks really wierd while he as moulted.

Jack's-Jane said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

MY GOD!!! They Are Stunning!!!

*!!!Wants One!!!*

Ive never seen one before, i take it they are they a rare breed?

m
xx

Jack's-Jane wrote:

Janex

awwwwww Lord Lopsley, gorgeous boy :love: :bunny: , Ive missed him :cry:. Jane was it not something to do with the genetics of the breed why u lost him? Maybe it might not be wise for people to be rushing off getting them, encouraging them to be breed if it is :cry:

lucyj said:
Jack's-Jane wrote:

Janex

awwwwww Lord Lopsley, gorgeous boy :love: :bunny: , Ive missed him :cry:. Jane was it not something to do with the genetics of the breed why u lost him? Maybe it might not be wise for people to be rushing off getting them, encouraging them to be breed if it is :cry:

No it was NOT a genetic problem

Janex

Thanks for you help guys :D :D Do any petstores in your area sell velveteens?? I was absolutly shocked when I saw the little guy :shock: :D

Leah xx

lucyj wrote:
Quote:
Jack's-Jane wrote:

Janex

awwwwww Lord Lopsley, gorgeous boy , Ive missed him . Jane was it not something to do with the genetics of the breed why u lost him? Maybe it might not be wise for people to be rushing off getting them, encouraging them to be breed if it is

Janex

oops sorry jane seemed to remember it was, must have picked it up wrong, sorry didnt mean to cause offence :oops:

lucyj said:
lucyj wrote:
Quote:
Jack's-Jane wrote:

Janex

awwwwww Lord Lopsley, gorgeous boy , Ive missed him . Jane was it not something to do with the genetics of the breed why u lost him? Maybe it might not be wise for people to be rushing off getting them, encouraging them to be breed if it is

Janex

oops sorry jane seemed to remember it was, must have picked it up wrong, sorry didnt mean to cause offence :oops:

No offence taken! :D

Janex

Charliesangel said:
Thanks for you help guys :D :D Do any petstores in your area sell velveteens?? I was absolutly shocked when I saw the little guy :shock: :D

Leah xx

I think they may have originated in America :? so perhaps they've become more common over your way and now they are selling them in pet shops? Ive certainly never seen any over here :?

Back