• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

European Giant

Sue

Mama Doe
Went to the auction this morning and saw an enormous grey doe advertised as a European Giant. Is this a recognised breed?

Rabbits were going for £1/£2, and some were only 8 weeks old!

Not a happy morning.

continental giant

Hi Louise,

many thanks - it was one up North. Such auctions trouble me greatly - I was stopped by a delighted lady who had justdelivered her first lot of ducks to be sold, and asked me whether I had brought along any ducks too (long story) - I said no - they might end up on someone's plate - she just said it was OK hers were too small!!

Theres a chicken, duck, rabbit and fowl market near me, each wednesday Im sure door keeper would know it, as Im not far from her. Its a horrible place. I rescued some chickens from there not long ago. Well my hubby went in and bid on them. They were battery hens and now they are so happy free ranging in the garden, with proper corn and feed. They also have a horse market once a month :oops: Hate the place !

my friend once went to a market just to keep her firend company and she came back with a gorgeous bunny who had had half of his ears cut off :cry: and about 4 ducks one of which had apparently been used as a football and had half her wing sticking up (completely healed). i could never go to anthing like that :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry:

I took one of my volunteers and her friend to the local auction on Sunday. It was the last one of the year so I knew it wouldnt be good :cry: There were loads of bunnies there, all trying to escape from the rubbish boxes they were put in :evil: . We ended up coming away with 7 rabbits and a pregnant guinea pig. One of the rabbits had half of his ears missing, we got most of them for £1 each. The bloke auctioning them proudly says out load "anyone want to bid on these, would be great for the pot" :cry: We just couldnt leave them there. I really wish these auctions would be banned, they are awful :cry:

We used to go to a local one each week. I don't agree with them but what I really have a problem with is that they let injured animals or animals in very poor condition to be sold. We once saw a goat for sale who had obviously been tethered and it had wounds on it's neck where it had cut in. In my opinion that animal should not have been allowed to have been sold. They do have an RSPCA officer present but I only ever saw him doing anything once which was when he warned some people who had tied a chicken's wings and were trying to get it into one of those cardboard fruit boxes that are long and not very high, think they were trying to tie two boxes together.

Oh, nearly forgot, any animals that were in boxes and not pens would be held up to show them to the crowd, with rabbits this was done by the ears :evil: , it used to really upset me.

Gemma x

Gemma x

Continental giant

Hi Spacegirl,

It isn't a meat market - it is advertised as Fur and Feather.

I know what you mean about coming back with a car full, but:

1 - By giving money to them it is encouraging the whole thing to continue
2 - It costs so much to neuter, vaccinate and feed the buns

I was very tempted by a lovely Harlequin doe with her triplets (all in a separate cage) and 2 whitey/grey mini-rex does. All I could do was take photos.

It is a very difficult one.

Back