• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny diet?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Trip is getting a little chubby :shock:

Im putting him on a diet starting today! Am I right in thinking I should stop all his pellets? He is getting about a quarter of a cup a day. He always has a few different types of hay to munch on.

Also what veg should I give him? And do I stll keep giving him the same amount of veg?

What makes you think he is chubby? It sounds like he is on a very good diet as he isn't getting many pellets, what hay and pellets do you feed?
Veggies aren't fattening, so I wouldn't stop feeding em. :wink:

What makes you think he is chubby?

I can see he is chubby. And at his last vet appointment last month the vet said he had put on a little weight.

Dont get me wrong he isnt huge or anything, just getting a little bigger. I just dont want him to continue getting bigger :D

He has always had that amount of pellets, I changed from excel to science selective a few months ago. The hays he has are field fresh meadow hay, southern meadow hay, timothy hay, brome hay and sometimes simply grass. And fresh veg daily.

I dont give them any treats that you buy in pet shops or anything, he gets little bits of fresh fruit for treats. But no more than the others get.

I think I am feeding them ok and the other two havent put any weight on.

Also Trip is quite lazy. He doesnt run around much and will just lie down when he is in the garden. I can encourage the others to play but he just sits there and looks at me like im mad :roll:

I just dont want him to become unhealthy :(

I personally wouldnt stop his pellets all together, as if he's only a bit overweight you dont want him to drastically lose weight. And if they are outside bunnies they need a bit of extra fat I think to keep warm at this time of year.

I would give him slightly less pellets and put them in a treat ball so he has to chase it around and get some excercise!

I would continue giving lots of hay and veg, but no fruit, and only small amounts of high carb veg such as carrot.

Awww, if you are worried, just cut down his pellets a little bit, maybe just give him a good pinch of them! You will soon find how much he needs to keep a good weight.

As to the veg, I'd still give him the same amount as it's probably the pellets that could do with being reduced to help him lose a little weight. :)

I have found with Sophie that she doesn't need much SS before putting on weight :? She has been told to lose weight before, and I just cut the pellets down a little which seems to do the trick!

Good Luck!

:thumb:

Thanks loopylop. I will try that.

He is actually running around today! I let him out before and he started running and jumping about real fast. He usually just sits there. I think its because its a bit windy

Back