• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

edit: help me find a good diet for Fudge

touie

Wise Old Thumper
hay only who feeds it? what are the pro's and cons? and how do you start it?

I think Fudge would benefit from a hay only diet, he has lots of tummy problems, small poos, strings of poos, intermittant diaorreah, but I can't get him to eat much hay!!! Oh and he's prob overweight now too!

I've tried it before ... Not for any reason really, just to see what it was like. Till only has 10-15 pellets daily anyway, but start by reducing Fudge's pellets gradually, so he isnt really noticing, until your down to 2 or 3 pellets a day, then just stop. Buy different kinds of hay and actually put some in his bowl (as well as everywhere else) .. That can help. Also, the hay experts do something called simply grass, which became what Till thought of as her 'dinner' .. something yummy to look forward to, which wasnt hay. The main difference i noticed was how much healthier her poo looked :oops: :roll:. She didnt stay on it long as i was worried she'd get a bit thin (shes only a very slim built bun) but she still gets very little pellets etc .. i'd say go for it! :D X

Touie, is he fed on any vegs? If so what. I noticed last night, just one leaf of a spring green, and all mine had very dark small poos and one diarrhoea.

Also I bought a bag of Timothy Hay yesterday (2nd cut one which they like) and they have eaten hay all day. Perhaps you could buy him some special hay just for him. Mine normally eat a good quality meadow hay, but they certainly do chomp more on the Timothy when it comes out as a treat.

He is a bit porky looking but you can't pinch an inch, its all fur :shock:

he has about 50G of pellets (at the most doesn't always eat that much) a mix of veg in a small tomato dish (the ones they come in at the supermarket I keep them as veggie dishes!) and hays unlimited but I don't think he has much :? .

I have cut his pellets down and mixed them with excel forage and put some in a treatball too but he's not worked the treatball out yet.

I did give him springgreens yesterday, i quite often give it. Today I cut his veg down and he had 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, couple of rocket leaves and a bit of watercress. I've put some comomile and dandelion hay down as a treat too

I want him to loose weight because of his sore feet, and to sort his sluggish digestive system out!

My view is that you need to cut out veg first then cut down the pellets and move to more hay. You might need to mix some different hays together. Rocket lettuce etc could be causing problems.

Also I think Excel forage is quite high in protein (better check the bag in case I'm making it up though!) so that could be exacerbating the problem :?

I wuld say to stop the runny poos ect..cut out the forage and salad..stick to the brassica veg...such as spring greens, sprouts, cabbage, brocilli..and a little carrot .....which pellets is he on? Again switch him to SS or A & P lots of good quality meadow hay..put it all over the place so he can't help but nibble it!!..and his tum should be fine.

Start by switching his pellets first with lots of hay and cut the veg out..then gradually re introduce the veg as you would a baby bun..this way you can see if a particular one upsets him..then when his tum is sorted cut down on the pellets gradually and replace with the veg he's fine with...good luck!

Bavarian Bunny said:
I'd stop feeding him veg completely for a while. Do you wash the leaves before feeding them?

Do they cope Ok with no veg?!! I thought it was the most important part of their diet .. after hay! :oops: X

He is already on SS I thought spring greens and cabbage would be worse than the salady bits :oops:

Back