• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

flea treatment

krista

Young Bun
Hi there does anyone which flea treatments are safe to use on a 10 week old bunny. He is a giant breed (french lop) so is obviously very big big for ten weeks, if size and weight have anything to do with it.

I got him from giant rabbit rescue last week, and at the moment I have him living indoors until this disgusting weather improves.
Last night I thought I might have seen a little crawly black speck on his coat and because I have three dogs and a cat I don't want a flea epidemic in my house !!! The other animals are all treated with frontline spot on but don't know if you can use this on baby animals ?
I will ring vet and ask if no one knows, but thought someone on here probably would and sometimes the vet doesn't always get things right when it comes to bunnies !!!! I don't think there is a special bunny flea treatment don't you normally just use the cat or dog treatment ??

I have never had to de-flea a bunny before !

Hello!!

Firstly - please DO NOT USE FRONTLINE on a rabbit, it is highly toxic and can kill it!

There are special flea treatments for rabbits, I can't remember what it's called though so I'd pop to your vets (probably no need to take the bun) and pick some up. I'm not sure you'd get one that is safe for rabbits from a pet shop, and I've heard some fairly horror stories about those ones anyway, better to be safe and get something from the vet. Also treat your other animals at the same time with the appropriate products (again, make sure you use the right one, as some for use on rabbits can kill a cat!) and also get a good spray like acclaim and give the house a going over. Most of the fleas live in the house and only jump on a furry for their dinner, so give a really good vacuum round including all the little cracks and bumps as this is where the eggs will fall.

fleas

Hi there Alison, thanks for that, I will ring the vet, I was going to do the other animals again just to be on the safe side.

Advantage is safe for bunnies, but you need to ask the vet how much to use. I was told to use half of one dose on scarlett when she was 11 weeks old

fleas

Went to vets, they said advantage is now licenced for rabbits so I used that. Because he is a giant breed and he is already over 1kg I used the whole spot on capsule for him, and he seems fine, although I did worry when he tried to turn round and lick his neck, but he couldn't quite reach !!!

As I only did the cat and dogs 3 weeks ago the nurse said not to worry about doing them again as they should still be ok if any fleas jump on them they will die. I gave the house an extra good hoover so hopefully that will be enough !!!

Back