• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

buying rabbits out of newspaper/rescue

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
I know breeding is bad and buying from pet shops, but what about newspapers? as when i get the shed/run/hutch set up i may be allowd another bunny if i save up for vets bills etc etc. But i was thinking of getting one out the paper, but not from a breeder, there is and add saying: "female rabbit for sale, needs loving home due to illness"

i was wondering if that was ok? but i would rather go for a male and castrate im, so there is more chance of them getting on

update

i have my eye on him!!! http://www.chesterfield-rspca.org.uk/rabbit_adoption_page3.htm

id be very wary of adverts in newspapers re bunnys esp if this one is poorly. you need to consider if you could afford to take this bun to the vets when needed because it could turn out very very expensive and you wouldnt want this to affect your other buns either.
also people could be lying about why they want to get rid of their rabbit - they could claim that they dont have the time to spend with it and infact its really ill and they cant afford treatment.
if you are planning on getting another bun id suggest a rescue. they will know each bun individually and wont lie to you about behaviour,illness and will basically suit you and the rabbit together.
i know its hard to see rabbits advertised because i too find it hard esp when im considering getting harvey a g/f. but after carefully consideration i decided on going to a rescue when the time is right.

To be honest chick .. I'd just keep the pets you have and spoil them :wink: You dont want to get too many - I think that giving one or two bunnies a very spoilt home is better than having lots of bunnies you cant really spend time with. (I mean on top of Beths school work etc, No offence to anyone else :)!) Plus, Bonding 3 buns is very difficult! Specially after the trouble it took to bond Holly & Flopsy :? Im not trying to tell you not to, Just dont want you getting another and being unhappy!! :D

As for getting a bun from a newspaper ... I have no idea!! :shock: :lol: :lol: x

i meant the owner had illness, i think? i guess i could just stick with holly and flopsy, but it would be great to help another bunny and for it to share the huge house it would have

You sound like me cavysrock
But you have to really think hard about it.
Could you afford housing, vaccs/neutering and unexpected bills?

For me the answer is no :(

I just have enough time to deal with my two rabbits and two cats.

I'd love, love more, but the more you have so does the cost of keeping them.

I'd agree with beckiboo186, just be happy with what you've got and spoil them rotten.

oo it could mean the owner is ill - didnt read it that way :lol: silly me.
the fact still remains they could be lying and you can never be sure. some people will do anything to get rid of animals. but in the same way it could be legit and the bunny could be 100% healthy.
like i said it is hard ive been looking thro free ads and seen so many buns ive thought - i could just do it but i have to put harv into consideration. will the bun get on with harv, can i afford to. im 24 and i know i couldnt afford another bun just yet - i have to give up my cigs first which will be well worth it. and thats even with harv having an entire shed to himself.
there are always gunna be buns out there needing homes and im sure it breaks most peoples hearts on here we cant help them all but people have their limits on the amount they can care for.

You certainly didn't sound like a female dog Becki, I think you gave really sounf advice. :D

It would be best for you to just look after the animals you've got.
I work and now have 22 animals...even I struggle with that! So seeing as you have to rely on your parents, try and stop.

If the owner was ill, wouldn't she want to GIVE the bun away to a good home NOT sell it...I know that I could NEVER EVER EVER sell Albert and Poppy.

Personally, I would go to a rescue every time. You may end up paying a bit more but the rabbit would (hopefully) be neutered/vaccinated plus you have their support if you have any questions etc. Also, by getting a rabbit from a rescue, you are supporting the rescue so it can keep on taking more rabbits.

Back