• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Twinkle Spay today: edit cancelled due to snuffles

update she couldn't be spayed because of the snuffles. The vet was fairly sure she wasn't pregnant but also said she wasn't practised at palpating rabbit pregnancies as she hadn't seen many pregnant rabbits.

She couldn't be given antibiotics for the snuffles just in case she was pregnant either.

So the plan is if I think she's getting any worse I will get some antibiotics for her but that will mean a likelihood of either deformed babies or a late spay. In the mean time i have to take her back on Thursday so the vet can check her tummy again and should be able to get a clearer idea and if she's still snuffly and not pregnant can have antibiotics then :?

On the bright side she seemed healthy in every other way, good teeth, chest, heart etc... very tiny though she was only 1.5 kg :shock:

touie said:
update she couldn't be spayed because of the snuffles. The vet was fairly sure she wasn't pregnant but also said she wasn't practised at palpating rabbit pregnancies as she hadn't seen many pregnant rabbits.

She couldn't be given antibiotics for the snuffles just in case she was pregnant either.

So the plan is if I think she's getting any worse I will get some antibiotics for her but that will mean a likelihood of either deformed babies or a late spay. In the mean time i have to take her back on Thursday so the vet can check her tummy again and should be able to get a clearer idea and if she's still snuffly and not pregnant can have antibiotics then :?

On the bright side she seemed healthy in every other way, good teeth, chest, heart etc... very tiny though she was only 1.5 kg :shock:

Oh dear :(

Hope she has not had contact with your other Bunnies.... :? :cry:

Janex

she's had contact with Fudge but he (and Amy) was very snuffly earlier this year and it cleared up ok by itself. The vet did say it could be stress related with being rehomed rather than Pasturella. Its all confusing! :?

touie said:
she's had contact with Fudge but he (and Amy) was very snuffly earlier this year and it cleared up ok by itself. The vet did say it could be stress related with being rehomed rather than Pasturella. Its all confusing! :?

Stress triggers Snuffles which is often but not always caused by a latent Pasteurella. Many bunnies carry Pasteurella yet remain asymptomatic until stress leads the bacteria to proliforate and symptoms develop.

Janex

Been thinking about this and just want to add my UNQUALIFIED,I AM NOT A VET ' opinion......

If Twinkle has an active Respiratory Tract infection ( high risk of Pasteurella) would it not be better to put her on abx for 7 days then spay her next week :?
If she is left untreated the infection MAY track to her lungs :cry: The stress of being pregnant putting her immune system under extreme pressure and making it harder for her to fight the infection :? If she has a spay late on she is at a much higher risk from uterine haemorrhage. If she is pregnant and goes on to deliver kits they are likely to have lifelong suseptability to 'snuffles' so re-homing them with that knowledge would be difficult. And if you are not in a position to keep them then what.....???

Just my ten peneth worth.

Janex

Oh no, what a dilemma, if it were me I think I would be inclined to do what Jane has suggested and give antibiotics as imo Twinkles' health is more important than anything, then go for a late spay. But it is a difficult one, I really hope she's ok

eek why couldn't I have read that yesterday :lol: yes that does make sense, at one point we were going to give her antibiotics and spay when she was feeling better then the vet changed her mind and i haven't got a clue what's best :? she would be about 14 days into the pregnancy now.

At the moment she is a little bit sneezy and sounds like her nose is a bit bunged up but there's no discharge if i notice her getting any worse i'll take her in straight away.

touie said:
eek why couldn't I have read that yesterday :lol: yes that does make sense, at one point we were going to give her antibiotics and spay when she was feeling better then the vet changed her mind and i haven't got a clue what's best :? she would be about 14 days into the pregnancy now.

At the moment she is a little bit sneezy and sounds like her nose is a bit bunged up but there's no discharge if i notice her getting any worse i'll take her in straight away.

TBH Touie I really think she needs to be on abx. It is actually more worrying if there is no snot, but wheezing and sneezing. At least with snot the gunk is coming out rather than trcking down into her lungs.
If she were my Bun I would be extremely concerned re pneumonia and would get her on abx TODAY. Her health has to come first as she is here , the kits she MAY have are not. Never thought I'd say that as I am anti abortion but this case is different as Twinkle's health is at risk

Janex

Janex

Back