• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ember VHD Jab complications

Ditzy

Young Bun
OUr buns had there VHD jab last night. This morning i woke up to find ember has sctratched all the fur out around the injection site. Its red raw and horrible looking :(

The vet injected her scruff, was this the right thing to do :?

Should i be worried? Should i call the vets and give them a hard time?

Thanks Ditzy

A local reaction to the vaccine is quite common

I would call the Vet and explain what has happened. Vet may give Ember a dose of Metacam to reduce the local inflammation/irritation

The best site to inject the VHD Vaccine is off centre in the scruff. The area should be massaged for several minutes after the vacc has been given. A new needle should be used to give the vaccine, not the one used to draw it up from the bottle

Janex

Ive got some metacam.

The dosage for rats is 1 drop. How much for buns? Should i give it to her without consulting the vet? Shes looking pretty ticked off, and took me ages to get her to come over and say good morning today.

I would speak with your Vet as he/she will need to note what has happened on Embers records.
I am sure giving Metacam is OK BUT I AM NOT A VET so I cant tell you to do so

Hope Ember's scruff soon feels better

Janex

Yep thats fine i am aware youre not a vet. I was just asking for your opinion, as thats what were like on Ratzrus.co.uk.

Ember is fine now. She just scabbed over nicely and it has dropped off now. Im glad its only an annual thing. They did look so under the weather bless them.

Thanks for your help.

Back