PDA

View Full Version : raisins?



johannapage
30-11-2006, 09:50 PM
are raisins safe for bunnies?

bunny_burrows
30-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Yep, although they should be given in moderation as they are a treat. :D

cherylwares
30-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Watch out, watch out, there's raisins about :lol: :lol:

Mine love em, and little Lucy sits up begging for them.

lucyj
30-11-2006, 10:42 PM
yeah i read somehwre they can be given but are high in sugars so only as a treat, mine arent too impressed with them, gave thm half a dozen in with their food and they were left in bottom of bowl. Dont really like grapes much either tho - will eat maybe 1 if I cut it in half so get juice but tht's it.

Bought a small snack size bag of dried pineapple and papaya mix 1 day when they'd jst got ill and I thought they werent poopin as mch as normal, mixed it with their morning pellets and and thy loved it! :D

johannapage
01-12-2006, 12:34 AM
ohh that sounds yumy, for me and rosie
might try that thanks hun!

loopylop
01-12-2006, 12:46 AM
are raisins safe for bunnies?

Mine love em as a treat :D

animus
01-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Crunchie won't touch 'em :roll:

honeybunny
01-12-2006, 09:12 AM
If buying any dreid fruit as a treat check the ingredients as some are coated in some very bad oils..also do only use them as a RARE treat ..they are high in sugar and like young children, if a bunny is not given them it won't miss them :D Much better to give a leaf of rocket, coriander or spring green they will enjoy these just as much.

BirdieBun
01-12-2006, 04:16 PM
They are high in sugar and proof of this is my mum gets migraines through eating chocolate and sweet thinngs. She had a few raisins the other day and it set her migraine off again :roll:

Angie65
01-12-2006, 06:22 PM
They are high in sugar and proof of this is my mum gets migraines through eating chocolate and sweet thinngs. She had a few raisins the other day and it set her migraine off again :roll:

I must be really sweet then, cos my Mum says i give her a migraine :shock:

touie
02-12-2006, 12:16 AM
I feed them to mine occasionally but i read this topic earlier which is rather worrying :shock: http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?news_iv_ctrl=1101&page=NewsArticle&id=16645

Happy Hopping
03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
raisin are derived from grapes, how can it be toxic? Anyhow, raisin contains Fe, which is good for rabbits. But I agree because of the sugar level, it should be given in moderate amt.

Karly
03-12-2006, 04:39 PM
raisin are derived from grapes, how can it be toxic? Anyhow, raisin contains Fe, which is good for rabbits. But I agree because of the sugar level, it should be given in moderate amt.

Animals can react differently to things we're fine with. For example, tea tree and lily plants are highly toxic to cats. Orange and other citrus fruits can cause kidney problems (cancer?) in male rats. Chocolate is more toxic to dogs than humans.
I don't see how being derived from grapes makes a difference, as grapes are thought to be toxic too

Sue&Sooty
03-12-2006, 04:53 PM
They are high in sugar and proof of this is my mum gets migraines through eating chocolate and sweet thinngs. She had a few raisins the other day and it set her migraine off again :roll:

I must be really sweet then, cos my Mum says i give her a migraine :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ShivyRex
03-12-2006, 05:33 PM
raisin are derived from grapes, how can it be toxic? Anyhow, raisin contains Fe, which is good for rabbits. But I agree because of the sugar level, it should be given in moderate amt.

I know grapes are poisonous to dogs. They can completely destroy they guts and large bowel. Not sure if people have just 'applied' this to bunnies though.

Happy Hopping
04-12-2006, 06:33 AM
I agree grapes are slightly toxic. That's why if a human eat too much, he can have stomach ache.

But the fact remains, the Fe element w/i raisin is good for a rabbit. I feed a small amt. of raisin (small because of the sugar contents) to my rabbit (current and bridge bunnies in the past) for over 8+ years. They really like it.