• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Willow - no poo - Update

Suzanne

Mama Doe
Willow was getting loads better and fatter but over the past few days his eating has slowed down although he is still eating. He's not too keen on hay- tried different types, but he does eat a bit of ready grass. He's eating SS, cabbage and parsley. He's drinking fine.

The problem is that his poos this morning were really small and few. Since this morning I don't think he's done any. He's lively and running around and eating. What could be the problem? If he hasn't done any by tomo I'll phone the vet but can I do anything in the meantime?

I think you need to phone the Vet TONIGHT
It sounds as though Willow has significantly reduced GI motility, bordering on stasis if no poo at all. This may be secondary to a Dental problem but it is important to keep his guts going in the meantime.
Stasis is such a mean condition as it can come on gradually and the Bun can be 'well' in themselves despite not eating/pooing much and then they suddenly become very poorly indeed :cry: . It can make a huge difference to the outcome if Veterinary treatment is sought sooner rather than later.

Janex

He went to the vets and was so frightened that he ripped a nail off in the struggle to get him on to the table. :(

The vet said that is tummy was full but there were only a few poos inside. She checked his mouth and his tooth has grown again so it could be that causing problems. His tooth on the back left doesn't grow straight up, it grows at an angle so it doesn't seem to wear down. She gave him something to move the gut and a painkiller. He's not eaten anything yet but he did do three poos. He's very lively and running around but I just don't know what to do anymore. He's got all his fav foods but he's not interested. :(

He's booked in for another burring on Tuesday and nuetering at the same time. We thought he was already neutered as his bits were shrivelled :oops: when we got him but now seem to have reappeared as he's gained weight.

If he's not eaten I phone the vet again.

Today has been terrible :( We got back from the vet to find Gea (cat) had had diaorea (sp) with blood in it. She was anethatised (sp) to have her paw stitched yesterday. So another major panic and phone call to the vet, we thought we'd have to go back! :( Apparently it can occur after an operation. She is back at the vet on Tuesday aswell.

Suzanne said:
He went to the vets and was so frightened that he ripped a nail off in the struggle to get him on to the table. :(

The vet said that is tummy was full but there were only a few poos inside. She checked his mouth and his tooth has grown again so it could be that causing problems. His tooth on the back left doesn't grow straight up, it grows at an angle so it doesn't seem to wear down. She gave him something to move the gut and a painkiller. He's not eaten anything yet but he did do three poos. He's very lively and running around but I just don't know what to do anymore. He's got all his fav foods but he's not interested. :(

He's booked in for another burring on Tuesday and nuetering at the same time. We thought he was already neutered as his bits were shrivelled :oops: when we got him but now seem to have reappeared as he's gained weight.

If he's not eaten I phone the vet again.

Today has been terrible :( We got back from the vet to find Gea (cat) had had diaorea (sp) with blood in it. She was anethatised (sp) to have her paw stitched yesterday. So another major panic and phone call to the vet, we thought we'd have to go back! :( Apparently it can occur after an operation. She is back at the vet on Tuesday aswell.

You need to start syringe feeding Willow (Critical Care/Liquidised Pellets)
Was he given any pain relief to be given every day til his dental? The gut motility meds may also need to be repeated.
TBH I dont think he can go til Tuesday without ongoing treament to keep his guts going and to address any pain he may have in his mouth. A Bun with discomfort will get reduced GI motility (physiological response to pain) And a Bun with a sore mouth wont eat. A vicious circle really :(
I would def' contact the Vet again and mention ongoing meds (ESPECIALLY pain relief) until his Dental can be done. If he is to have a GA it is essential his guts are as OK as possible

Janex

Phoned vet and started syringe feeding SS. He took quite a lot and he ate a small piece of pear. I'll give him some more SS in a couple of hours. He had a painkiller injection at the vets.

Suzanne said:
Phoned vet and started syringe feeding SS. He took quite a lot and he ate a small piece of pear. I'll give him some more SS in a couple of hours. He had a painkiller injection at the vets.

Thats great :thumb:
The pain killer will last 24 hours so he may need more over the W/E
As he is keen to take syringe feeds I suspect its his mouth rather than his tummy that hurts. Is there any way he could have his Dental before Tuesday?

Janex

Willow did a big pile of good shaped poos last night :D I soaked his SS pellets and he ate those and another piece of pear. He's eaten some more this morning and he's running around. :D He's still not 100% but he lives in the house so we are able to keep a close eye on him until he can have his dental. :D

Back