• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues- homing over Christmas

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I just wondered if any of the rescues stop homing rabbits for the time up until Christmas because of people maybe wanting them for presents?

I guess you'd work that out from chatting to potential adopters anyway and most people who'd do this would go to a pet shop, but just curious really if anyone had this as a policy, as some rescues do with cats and dogs.

We stop homing on the 15th December + start again on 2nd January (that's dogs, cats + rabbits). People can still come up to the centre and if they are certain can put an animal on reserve and wait til after Xmas to collect it. We do this because Xmas is such a busy time for most people that it would be too unsettling for the animals to go to new homes. Much better to wait til the festivities are out of the way + they can devote time to settling them in.

Nicola

I have one pair of piggies who will be rehomed a few days before Christmas, the lady has spoken to me about a month ago and has already gone through everything with me. She needs a little longer to sort out her shed to fit a hutch inside and would prefer to get them when the children are not at school and have more time to get used to them. the school holidays are quieter for her than during the week when her children usually have lots of friends around in the evening. I am happy that this is not an impulse purchase.

Usually there are very few animals whom are rehomed over the Christmas holidays partly due to fosterers committments as well as trying to discourage people to make impulse purchases for Christmas.

WE WOULD REHOME OVER CHRISTMAS ....IF THE PERFECT HOME CAME ALONG .

MUST SAY THOUGH THAT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A VERY VERY GOOD HOME AND THE POTENTIAL OWNERS WOULD HAVE TO HAVE A VERY VERY GOOD REASON FOR NOT WANTING TO WAIT . :wink:

Ive had a couple of people asking if they can wait to pick up rabbits at christmas , but im not letting them go after the tenth. The vast majority are responsable people wanting to adopt so this should be ok. val

I think it depends if there's a good reason doesn't it - for example if somebun's partner has passed away and the bun is lonely, you know that they already had rabbits and so it isn't a 'christmas present'. Also for people like me, Christmas is the best time to be rehoming, because I get a week off work and have no children, so it's a lovely quiet time in the house and I'm at home to keep an eye and help them to settle.

On the whole I'd say it's definitely sensible to be wary of people wanting animals at Christmas though, even if they are a well thought out and wanted 'present', most children are too excitable at Christmas to consider how a new pet would be feeling.

Back