• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run surfaces (again!)

Jonny

Warren Scout
The buns have been hopping around their new run recently, but only under my close supervision, as I haven't secured it properly to the side of the shed yet.

I've got bark chips down, with sand / gravel underneath. I notice the girls like to dig a bit in it. Nothing major - more just scratching the surface. But I'm worried that one of them might take a notion one night, or during the day when I'm at work, and dig her way out.

I intend to give them free range to the run from this weekend, when I've had an opportunity to secure it, but I'm wondering whether I ought to put down a few flagstones on the surface to stop any potential escapes? This was my original plan, but pen fits very neatly into the little trench I've dug out and I've heard flagstones can be sore on their hocks. Are there any other preventative measures I could take to stop breakouts?

I have a wire mesh frame attached to the bottom of the run, with the chippings on the top. Ruby loves to dig, and she'd be out in seconds if I hadn't :shock: :D

Was thinking about that - but was worried there was a possibility that they could catch their claws on the wire - or am I just being paranoid?! :)

My run has concrete slabs with rubber mats on top and thick towels on top of the mats and that works well with Mia`s hocks. My run has a waterproof cover so the towels don`t get wet and I give them a wash when my hubby isn`t around :wink:

Am conscious of that - I think it's pretty secure. I lost my bunny Betty to a stoat on Christmas Eve 1984 when I was a child (the vile little predator chewed through chicken wire!) so I don't want that to happen again. My current run is pretty well built (from Mr Bun in Nottingham who I highly recommend), and I've put on a double wire mesh to be sure.

Haven't quite worked out how to secure it to the ground though. Was going to use mortar, but then that would mean that the run could never be moved, lifted. Am currently thinking of tent-pegs with strong wire.

Any other suggestions welcome!

As well as bunnies digging out, foxes and things can dig in if there's no wire/slabs on the bottom ...

I would have thought that if you put wire on the bottom, then your sand and gravel and wood chips, then their feet shouldn't catch?

Would a fox actually dig it's way in! Didn't think they'd be that smart :shock:

Think I might go for paving slabs after all!

The weight of the slabs keep the run in place and will stopping digging in or out, also the run is screwed to the shed for extra security.

Jonny said:
Would a fox actually dig it's way in! Didn't think they'd be that smart :shock:

Think I might go for paving slabs after all!
Foxe's are smart! They can open hutch catches too :shock:

You gotta be kiddin'?

Fortunately I don't think there are many around here, and the back garden is pretty secure from any intruders, except cats.

Jonny said:
You gotta be kiddin'?

Fortunately I don't think there are many around here, and the back garden is pretty secure from any intruders, except cats.

You'd be suprised- there probably are foxes in your area.

I used to be very niave about this until I found my rabbits dead one morning :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'd say definetly go with paving stones, weld mesh with nails, not staples, on the run, a lock on the shed etc etc. I will be doing this when I let the rabbits I have now outside.

Back