• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor pet shop rabbits U/D been to shop :(

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Just went to have a nose in a pet shop near work....

And there were still the same two rabbits that have been in there literally for weeks and weeks. A netherland dwarf and black and white dwarf lop. They must be different sexes as they are in seperate cages.

I commented to the owner about how long they had been there and he said they were 'going back soon'. I asked where and was told to the farm where they came from to the breeding pens :( :evil:

Feel really sorry for them. Am torn whether to ask to say I'll take them for free, but the expense of caring for them is a worry and I cant keep them long term and ultimately its freeing up space for him- although on the other hand he's obviously going to make that happen anyway by sending them back for breeding.

Any thoughts? I guess this is always an issue going into pet shops, so even more of a reason to avoid them.

Oh goodness Mandy, what a dilemma. I personally think these rabbits need a home as much as any and if you can persuade him to give them to you for free or next to nothing you'll be doing them a huge favour. I know that more will be on the way :( but that'll happen anyway and tbh I would think a breeder would either kill these two or breed from them, not much of a life.

I'm sure you'd be able to rehome them through here or locally.

Could you maybe see if he will get more in? If these haven't "sold" then maybe he won't replace them? Then freeing up space issue solved, & it's just getting buns out

Angie65 said:
Could you maybe see if he will get more in? If these haven't "sold" then maybe he won't replace them? Then freeing up space issue solved, & it's just getting buns out

Hmmm thats a good point.

Should I go in and speak to him then do you all think?
I think I can just about squeeze them in the summer house and still do fostering. They wont have masses of space, but will have more than they do in the petshop, but i'll have to get another hutch or two.

Poor bunnies :(

If he will let you take them for free and you can squeeze them in take them. With regards to freeing up space - if they are 'going back' then the space will be free anyway. I know there's always the dilema but if the buns are at risk then their welfare is the most important thing. Which shop is it?

Suzanne said:
Poor bunnies :(

If he will let you take them for free and you can squeeze them in take them. With regards to freeing up space - if they are 'going back' then the space will be free anyway. I know there's always the dilema but if the buns are at risk then their welfare is the most important thing. Which shop is it?

One in netherfield- the only one left open.

Oh god, I just had a horrible thought- he's probably getting rid now because he wants to get babies in to sell as Xmas presents :shock: :x

I dont think I can bear to be a part of making that easier for him, but I really do feel sorry for those two :? But then I guess they'll always be pet shop buns to feel sorry for.

Im guessing as not many people have replied to this thread, that most would not take them?

Can you realistcally afford to care for them e.g. vaccs, neuter, emergency vetcare? Remember you won't have a rescue for backup. If you can't take them long term that means you'll need to find them a home and do homecheck etc. - can you do that? Have you got space to keep them for what maybe months? Finding homes, particularly this time of year will not be quick. Unless you can answer yes to all those questions then unfortunately it's probably best you don't take them.

You can talk to the shop owner tho and see what you can achieve that way :)

Yes thats true Tamsin, I was concerned about the cost, and I had decided not to take on any freeads etc to home myself for these reasons, rather to foster instead.

Any thoughts on what to say to the shop owner? I cant really see a solution to it.

People will always be critical what ever we do. You have to do what you think is best. I understand what you mean about expense as taking Willow as cost us a fortune then Gea had her accident and is at the vets now getting stitches, not to mention vacs for the other buns (6) so I can't bear to think how much we've spent in vet bills in the past couple of months. I'm sorry we can't help out. I will say that it's possible that Willow will be looking for girlfriend after Christmas. :D But I can't make any promises yet - got to work on OH :wink: (and get a job!!)

awww thats awful that they are being sent back :( I dont think about this sort of thing too deeply try to be a bit ignorant to it if i'm honest it is just too upsetting and something we wont ever stop :(

Hi Mandy I think in this case there's no right and wrong and you'll have to do what you think is best. Not much help sorry.

Mandy..my personal view is do not take them. If he is finding it hard to sell bunnies then good..he may rethink stocking them...as sad as it is for these particualr 2..as you yourself say..he will just replace them and when do you stop taking ones from him you feel sorry for.
I think he is the shop that is near where Kathy..Small pet Rescue..used to be..and she tried and tried to get him to stop selling as most bunnies he sold ended up with her :(

Again I know it's hard when you have seen certain bunnies....but in reality you would be helping his trade.

Why do we all do this? Go looking at the bunnies in the shops and end up heartbroken? I know how you feel Mandy and I know you will make the right decision. It's easy for us to give our opinions but to actually be in the situation is completely different. If you do decide to take them and I can be of any help you have my number.x

Poor little buns. They always look so unhappy in the petshop, quite a few of them end up pregnant and people buy them unaware and suddenly end up with loads of bunny babies! Its awful how they are treated sometimes! :cry:

Its a difficult one, as Im very against pet shops and breeders.

But in this case, I feel it is the same as taking breeder surplus in a way, because that obviously frees up space when bunns are unwanted.

He has told me before that he no longer sells kittens because he cant sell them, so maybe he will stop selling rabbits too. I hate to think what will happen to them tho :(

I'll have a think about it a bit more, but under no circumstances would I give him money for them.

If poss, find out why he has bunnies in there. If it's for the bunnies he makes by selling them then obviously not being able to sell them and having to feed them makes that unecconomical. Some shops have them because of the money they get from the supplies purchased with the rabbit not the rabbit itself. Or because people come in to look at the animals and then buy things.

Offer an alternative. Does he have space to have them live as shop bunnies (neuter the male and keep them together) that cover visitors.

Alternatively, my local pet suplies shop now has a folder full of details of local rabbits for adoption. People come in to look at those even though there are no live bunnies. Suggest if he agrees to stop selling rabbits you could supply posters or a similar folder and some publicity to go with it. But only if he no longer sells live ones. Some press in the paper about a local shop that's pledged to help out rescues might up his customers. That way the shop gets something and the bunnies do to. Maybe the rescue would be willing ot give out business cards to a shop that supported them in that way.

Tam

Thats a brilliant idea, I shall do that.

Im not sure what his response will be as he's rather a 'traditional' guy, but its worth a try.

And if Celias keen, I could ask if she wants me to take in a folder of Kirkby bunns, as I already put their details on RR.

Well I went in just now and really wish i hadnt.

I took in a poster from RR and some print outs of kirkby bunns to show him what could go in the folder. I was EXTREMELY polite, but he immediately went on the defensive and was really nasty.

He said he sells animals in all his shops (seems he owns a few in nottingham) and will never stop.

Among some of the things he said was 'people like you need to look at where the real problem is'. Erm....its petshops like you and breeders :? :? :? (I didnt say this, Im aware its partly legislation)

I think he must be the same guy that Jill said Kathy had spoken to before from his immediate angry reaction. He was really lecturing me so I said politely 'look Im just going to go'....so he shouted and swore at me as I left!

Was really upsetting and embarrassing as there were two other people in the shop :oops: :cry: :evil: .

BTW the lop rabbit has sold, but the netherland is still there, and he says it'll stay there or go back to be used for breeding. I didnt ask if i could take it, and from his reaction, I know he would most certainly have said 'no'.

Back