• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help I think I may have two pregnant buns* Updated V Fat lol

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Well there was sixteen buns needing help in Cannock. Pet welfare only had room for 12, so I went and collected the other 4 remaining ones yesterday day from the owner. They were kept with no bedding and being picked up by their ears it was very sad, they all lived separate so Karen from PW said there wasn't any chance any were pregnant. I did see they were all living seperate when I went to get them, but now I'm wondering if at some point over the last month they've been put together.

Anyway, I'd settled them in and two of them seem to have very hard/bloated tums (they had hard tums when I picked them up, from owner, I just put it down to ). I hadn't given them pellets yesterday as they were on really nasty cheap mix, so last night they had hay and a bit of veg (they've never had hay before), they're eating etc so it can't be bloat?

This morning I checked and they have made proper full on nests, so I've been and down the shop and got some cheap mix. I didn't want to put pellets in and upset their stomachs and if they are pregnant they need some food.

They were all booked in for myx's on Friday, but just rang my vet and begged to fit the two big belly buns in tonight, because now I'm paranoid they've got bloat.

What do you think?

Hope you and your bunnies are well, I've had a few days off work so need to catch up. :D

Pregnant rabbits nest build pretty close to giving birth between hours and a couple of days. Their tummies are meant to feel lumpy like golf balls but I've never felt one myself. I'd be slightly umm about going to the vet tonight as they could be planning to give birth sometime tonight/early hours tommorow.

Are they pooping?

Tam

Awww Mate, havent really got any advice just glad that you have them with you to look after them properly :D :D :D

Tamsin said:
Pregnant rabbits nest build pretty close to giving birth between hours and a couple of days. Their tummies are meant to feel lumpy like golf balls but I've never felt one myself. I'd be slightly umm about going to the vet tonight as they could be planning to give birth sometime tonight/early hours tommorow.

Are they pooping?

Tam

OMG noooo, panic panic :shock: , ok their bellies don't feel lumpy, but are big and solid and there is poo's. Oh God, should I cancel the vets then?

Awww good luck with them, especially if they're both pregnant, at least they've got proper care now and won't be picked up by their ears again :x

:shock: Hope things are ok with them.

Is Midland Pet Welfare the one that Kirkbys kind of linked to? (Hope that makes sense :lol: )

Mandyx

kayjay said:
Awww good luck with them, especially if they're both pregnant, at least they've got proper care now and won't be picked up by their ears again :x

animusuk said:
Oh dear, all I can suggest is you keep them warm and comfortable :)

Thanks guys, I will put some snugglesafes in later, I'm not sure whether I am taking them to the vets or not? I hope they're having phantoms.

mandy said:
:shock: Hope things are ok with them.

Is Midland Pet Welfare the one that Kirkbys kind of linked to? (Hope that makes sense :lol: )

Mandyx

Yep it's the Midlands version :lol:

SOAD said:
kayjay said:

animusuk said:

Thanks guys, I will put some snugglesafes in later, I'm not sure whether I am taking them to the vets or not? I hope they're having phantoms.

surely if you take them to the vets they will be able to say whether or not they are preggers or have something else. if they are not pregnant then your mind will be at rest, if they are the vet may be able to give you some advice.

well done for helping out those poor buns :thumb:

cheekytikki said:
SOAD said:
kayjay said:

animusuk said:

surely if you take them to the vets they will be able to say whether or not they are preggers or have something else. if they are not pregnant then your mind will be at rest, if they are the vet may be able to give you some advice.

I suppose the fear is that if they've made nests already birth could be imminent and that last thing Tree wants is them to have babies whilst in transit

cheekytikki said:
SOAD said:
kayjay said:

animusuk said:

well you see that was the plan :D , but as Tamsin said above if they are about to give birth it wouldn't be good to move them. I am confused, although doesn't take much to confuse me :lol:

Sue&Sooty said:
cheekytikki said:
SOAD said:
kayjay said:

animusuk said:

I suppose the fear is that if they've made nests already birth could be imminent and that last thing Tree wants is them to have babies whilst in transit

Oh lol sorry, we crossed :oops:

:lol: :lol: So I see!!

If they have already built their nests then you should know pretty soon, one way or the other.

OMG I am scared, Beatrix pre neuter use to build nests, but nothing like these nests, they were thick with fur :?

cheekytikki said:
oh yeah see what you mean about moving them. does your vet do home visits?

No unfortunetly not, I guess I could always try my luck and beg Mel to come out :oops: :lol: . I've not cancelled the appointment for tonight yet, so we've still a space in the appointment book. I guess I will have to gage the situation when I get in or plead with Mel to coem out.

SOAD said:
OMG I am scared, Beatrix pre neuter use to build nests, but nothing like these nests, they were thick with fur :?

I think I'd err on the side of caution and assume a birth's imminent, if one doesn't arrive in the next 48 hours then you could take them to the vet then.

kayjay said:
SOAD said:

I think I'd err on the side of caution and assume a birth's imminent, if one doesn't arrive in the next 48 hours then you could take them to the vet then.

Yep good thinking, because my original appointment was for Friday, but I begged them to let me take the two tonight. I will ring and explain what's going on.

Back