• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit insurance

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
just something i was thinking about recently
i got an online quote of £8.50 per rabbit per month with petplan
is that high or average?

is it worth getting or is it better to set up an 'emergency fund'?

cheekytikki said:
just something i was thinking about recently
i got an online quote of £8.50 per rabbit per month with petplan
is that high or average?

is it worth getting or is it better to set up an 'emergency fund'?

I'd go with the emergency fund tbh. Then all the money is usable .. if you understand what Im saying :? X

yeah that is what i was leaning towards just worry i will spend it when i dont need to (not very good at saving :oops: ) might ask mum if she can open an account that i can pay into so only she has the card so i cant spend it

It's worth checking a potential policy very carefully - most rabbit insurance won't cover things such as removing spurs from buns teeth, so if you find yourself in the position where a bun needs regular dental work then you'll still have to pay for that even if you do have insurance cover.

However, I do imagine that an insurance policy would be very handy in the case of an emergency, such as a bun with a broken leg. Once Jacob is vaccinated (a condition of most policies) I plan to get pet insurance for her, simply because even if I saved the money every month I wouldn't have enough cash - say, £200 - for emergency surgery if it were required. Well, I know I could find the money upfront but it would a tough debt long term whereas with insurance at least you know you should get it back! :thumb:

Yeah I'd recommend it. When Princess had bloat I had an emergency call out + all the treatment fees which came to £130. She is insured with Petplan + I only had to pay the first £60 which is manageable for me. I wish I'd got Amy covered sooner as her recent vet bill was £200ish! They wouldn't have covered for the spay but would have for X-Rays etc!

I also have a bunny account which I put £20 into every month to cover vaccinations + Princess' teeth being done. When I can I'm going to increase that to £30 or £40 so I can hopefully save for any excesses that I may incur!!

Nicola

I have a savings account for buns too :thumb: Prefer that because then if your bun is never ill you don't 'lose' any of the money you put into insurance :D

I have got a seperate savings account an also a clear credit card just incase. I resent having to pay the first £50 or whatever if I've got to pay £8.50 per month anyway! I'd rather fork out if and when needed. Touch wood touch wood toush wood :D

IsabelM said:
I have got a seperate savings account an also a clear credit card just incase. I resent having to pay the first £50 or whatever if I've got to pay £8.50 per month anyway! I'd rather fork out if and when needed. Touch wood touch wood toush wood :D

Exactly!! You wouldn't think the excess would be so much would you?! :shock:

Ahh yes, also have a clear credit card too :D

id go with insurance if you can afford it - emergency funds are ok but last year Gus had a retrobulbar abscess and total treatment ran to £900 (including me having to go to Frances Harcourt-Brown in the end) - if he hadnt been insured i dont think i would have been able to afford the treatment

£8.50 sounds a little high though - i pay £6ish for each of my buns with pet protect and the policy does include dental work - i cant recommend them highly enough for the speed that they pay out claims

ok thanks :D i was thinking (if i get my money sorted :roll: ) that i could probably afford the £6ish per bum per month and still be able to put in £10-20 a month into an account will have to see what my funds are like after christmas :roll: :? :(

I do both Abi. I save a little each month but I also insure both Daisy and Bertie. My insurance is about £8 each, I think pet plan base it on where in the country you live.

Personally I wouldn't go for insurance because of the excess you still have to pay, and the fact that there are so many exclusions to treatment. A clear credit card is my own way of financing any unexpected vets bills.

I used to have the bunnies insured, but not anymore as it would cost a lot more now for 9 bunnies than any treatment will ever cost really. I also a few hundred pounds set aside for the bunnies just in case...

I have two having treatment for abscesses at the moment. It is costing a lot of money and will do for another few weeks... but hey, I don't smoke or drink and I've got to spend my money somehow... so why not on vet fees... :lol:

Providing you dont have too many pets i would go for insurance every time, I might be just unfortunate but I have had my money's worth over the years.

My cat has just been referred to the Liverpool University Small Animal Hospital, and in the past 2 months so far I am upto £3,000 in fees, insurance just gives you the peace of mind to let them carry out the necessary tests without having to think twice about it. It has been an eye opener going there, the vets are excellent, they are non profit making, and if the same treatment had or could have been done at the vets it would have been a lot more money.

One thing to remember is to take a policy that covers the illness for life, and not just the pet for life.

Carole

I would definitely go with the insurance option. Benny's treatment in the last 2 years has cost almost £2000. All we have had to pay is £7 each month and two lots of excess.

We would have been broke without Petplan.

I've been thinking about insurance vs saving too, but my petplan quote is £19.70 :shock:

I can see that if anything went wrong, the insurance would be great, but with an excess of £75 and monthly payments of nearly £20, I can also imagine that I'd never claim and would just be giving them £20 each month.

Does anyone know what their criteria are for the quotes? Seems like a huge difference between £8 and £19.70 from the same company?

your postcode does affect it - something to do with kind of area you live in, and likely vets costs

but that does seem way too high at £20 - i would ask them to quote again - because even if your bunny has pre-existing conditions they just wouldnt be covered on the insurance

also i guess it depends on bunny's age

I'm in Stockwell in south London. Don't know what that means for vet prices!

Asta is only 2 and has no pre-existing conditions, is neutered and vaccinated ... would have thought that should make it a low quote :?

I think I need to find a few more companies that insure and get some more quotes.

Back