• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Children's rabbit book?

LizJ

Warren Scout
A distant branch of my family have bought a rabbit for their children. When I last met them, the children's mum was moaning that the kids never want to clean him out and how the rabbit is always biting the boy and that the girl only wanted to play with it sometimes :(

I was a bit surprised at the time, and had only just got into rabbits myself, so although I knew it was all wrong, I didn't feel able to speak up and sort them out. There are also family tensions which could deteriorate further if I am seen to be 'telling them what to do'.

The only way I can think of to give them advice is to get the kids a book for Christmas. Then I can be seen to encourage their hobby rather than be preaching. The hope of course is that the mum reads the book too ....

Can anyone reccommend a book on rabbit care that is suitable for children of around 8 that emphasises things like hay and neutering? Their rabbit is a young male in an outdoor hutch, so I'm not surprised he bites and wees everywhere making cleaning out more work.

I want to find a way to help them to help their rabbit. I don't think they're intentionally being cruel, but because they don't know why the rabbit behaves as it does, they can't change things. I will also be trying to find a way to offer to take the rabbit if they ever feel it is too much for them, but I think a book for the kids is the only way forward at the moment.

Please help!

It's not a childrens book but I found 'why does my rabbit' by Anne McBride really useful for understanding the bunnies and has some good suggestions. But not really on general rabbit care.

How old are the children?

Thanks Flick, I have the 'Why does my rabbit ....?' book and found it really interesting. I think I'll pass it in their direction as a lend.

Conicidentally, as I posted this last night, my Mum was with the family! She asked some probing questions and it seems they have had him neutered and got a run and things now, so it is all improving. I think the Mum of the kids finally realised she is responsible for the rabbits, not the kids :D

Thanks for you help

Back