• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel so cruel :o(

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Before I got Fia, Zion used to have supervised run of the garden on the weekends and some evenings. He was very happy binkying around and munching on the grass and the plants and so I was happy.

When I got Fia we introduced them to each other in the garden and she had a run around but Zion was chasing her around and so she took refuge in a bush which, when the time came, I was able to pick her up and put her away as she was so scared.

After this time she managed to jump out of the run on one occasion whilst I was cleaning them out. So I let her have an exploring time and then it started to get dark and so she needed to go back into her hutch but I could not catch her for love nor money. She would run off as soon as I got within a metre of her and no offering of tastey veg tempted her. In the end I literally had to jump on her with some plastic sheeting to catch her and put her away and that took me the best part of 40mins!!! :shock: :shock:

Since then I haven't let them out to run around the garden :cry:. Fia is still very wary of me and I can't even stroke her without her getting funny and shuffling off in another direction although I think she is getting better coming to greet me at the door at dinner time etc. This makes me even more reluctant to let her out with Zi in the garden as I still haven't gained her trust and I don't want to stress her out chasing her around the garden.

I just feel dreadful but i think it is unfair to let Zion out for a run around and not her. He is putting on weight cos he keeps stealing her food (have to separate them now) and I am sure a run around the garden would get rid of this.

Also the garden has like a bushy part at the end and a hedge either side that Zion often went into exploring and impossible to get him out of unless I have a carrot. He can be easily bribed with food but she isn't that fussed and I am afraid it would be a case that she just wouldn't come out and I'd have to leave her there until she gets really hungry! :( :shock: :( They're also really difficult to cut off access to - hopefully this won't be such a problem once we buy our new house.

I was considering maybe putting Fia on a harness and letting her out with me holding the end of the lead at all times thus obviously under supervision. I am not keen on harnesses but I feel so cruel leaving them in their playhouse and their 6x4 run and bringing them into the house for the odd run around after seeing how happy Zion was.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated.

A guilty feeling bunny mummy :(

Shiv

Dont feel bad, your just trying to do whats best. Your harness idea sounds great.
I had a similar problem with one rabbit more timid than the other although I dont have to worry about chasing each other anymore. I just open the hutch door and sometimes they both come out, sometimes only one of them comes out-its up to them. I wouldnt feel bad about only letting one bun out becasue its better than no buns having garden fun.

As far as getting them back into the hutch goes I find the timid one is actually easier to get in because as soon as he thinks Im going to pick him up he heads to the safety of the hutch. An his wifes a greedy little girl so shes in as soon as the vegies drop... :lol:

dont feel bad hun they are very loved maybe you could get a higher sided run? or let Zion have a quick run alone? until you get a good bond with Fia?

I dont think you are cruel at all. Its hard in the winter to let them have a run around anyway with it getting dark so early.

And Fia and Zion really have a lot of space with having a play house too.

Maybe you could let them out first thing in the morning on a weekend, just give them some hay to eat and not give 'breakfast' until you want them to come in?

I know its quite stressful when they wont. Hann was always a nightmare and I'd end up chasing him all over the place! In the end I just had to wait for a moment when he'd gone in and run and shut the door.

I wouldnt worry about it though, when Fia's more confident hopefully she'll come in easier.

I will probably get shot down in flames for this but I had the same problem with Totti and Brody and used a water pistol. Admitedly, they got a drenching in the beginning but it got to the stage where the hint of water on the butt and they would run for the sanctuary of the hutch. It is no longer required and hasn't been for some time.... food now works again or me running round the garden after them with a feather duster...

best of luck

How long have you have Fia?

When we introduced Milly to our existing rabbit, Sweep who was very much use to the free run of the garden, we kept the pair of them confined to the hutch/run for at least a couple of weeks prior to letting them both into the garden. This ensured that Milly realised where her base and food were.

To get the rabbits in, we tend to 'keep them hungry' - not starve them of course, as they have access to hay and grass all day, but they know that their treats will be in the hutch at the end of the day.

We also use a dog type 'clicker' - the noise of which tends to signal 'end of day and treat', rather than just the odd treat during the day.

We rarely (if ever) pounce on them, but if necessary (they will often just bound down the garden) herd them into the run. It is all done in their time rather than ours of course, but this makes it as stress free as possible!

Hope this helps.

The best way to get rabbits in at night is to feed them at night. Then they will be expecting their food and will jump into their hutch by themselves when you fill their bowl. Mine always get fed about half an hour before dark whatever time of year it is, and they run and jump into their hutches when they see me coming. I only do water bottles in the morning, no feed, although they always have hay of course.
Start the routine before you let her out so she is used to being fed then and so is ready. You could also try penning her into a smaller area in case she dashes off and can't see you with the food, then once she had the idea you can let her have more space.

Thanks for all your recommendations guys I really appreciate it. I will give it a go one day and try and block off the hedges as best I can. I will definately go with the food but as I said in my original post she isn't overly fussed and would rather explore and eat the leaves off the hedges or the grass than come near me with a spring leaf even though she loves them.

I will make sure I let her out when the b/f is around to help me herd her in. I will also make sure they're both hungry (although a carrot will ALWAYS pursuade Zion tut tut). I think she knows the playhouse is home so I will see how it goes and will make sure I do it early in the day for a few hours so I have a spare 40mins to get her back in.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Shiv, Zi & Fia xXXx

Shiv Ive got harnesses for Honey and Harly as Harly started bolting in2 the neighbours garden, who have dogs and cats, andHoney was never easy 2 catch and had 2 b tempted with food. I am much happier with them, also as u say thy dont get stressed as ur not chasing them about. The leads tht come on them r pretty short, so I bought some of those extending dogs leads tht u get and it's great - word of advice tho buy decent ones, and never ever leave them in them alone even jst 4 a mo. I once nipped frm the back garden to the front to tell eddie sumthing, and when I got back harly had bolted, the lead (cheapo from 99p shop) had broke, it got all tangled up in between his toes and everything, he got himself in a right state, I had a job catching him and he was squealing it was awful, So never ever even jst for a sec okie dokes :)

Back