• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training for older rabbits - help

bunnykins

New Kit
We now have a problem with our 4 buns who have all been perfectly behaved until the last couple of months. They live outside in hutches with outside runs and are now 2.5 years, 2 boys and 2 girls. The upstairs of the hutches are immaculate - sleeping area!
Downstairs there is a big litter tray one side and two smaller ones the other and one outside in a corner that they particularly love. pong pong!
Everything was clean and tidy until.... NOW they are dropping currants everywhere and one or all are also peeing in the left side which is also the 'feeding' side and where they spend most of their time when not out.
Its gross!! and driving us mad with the cleaning. Anyone have any ideas as why?? They get the run of the garden a lot, daily through the summer. I am wondering if they have just lost control after having freedom?
How do we get them back to using the litter trays, we have tried the cleaning, putting hay in to encourage rather than litter but???............any help out there?? ideas all welcome............the OH says he cant stand it much longer.......... :(

get an extra tray and move the food? 2 of mine have been doing the same this week and I'm not impressed either! :(

Move all the soiled bedding from the "wrong" corner into their correct litter tray and clean out the "wrong" corner with biological washing powder in warm water to remove smell, otherwise take the easier option and add another/move a tray into the corner they now like and put their food in a different place as suggested above :wink: .

Caz

Thank you. Have not had a chance to get back on here the last week.
We gave them another good clean out and they were at it again. I have been scooping up the poops and putting into the right litter trays and they do seem to be using these more now but still littering all over the main area AND peeing!! yuck, once into the food bowl. Think thats Bandit. Increased the poops litter trays. They used to have 2 in one side that they sat in, these are now proper litter collecters and I have put straw in these to encourage them, works a little I think/hope. Exhausting.............but they are stilll cute and very spoilt. Now its winter letting them out only at weekends so hoping that will make them realise they have to put up with their own squalour!! but they are buns not human!! Keep on scooping to minimise what the OH sees - bit of a control freak and cant understand they are animals at the end of the day! Trying to find out how to get some pics on here 'cos they are lovely. All 4 bonded easily and are highly entertaining.

I have the same problem, it's a small problem that I learnt to live with. All my past & current rabbits do the same thing. Take Goofball for e.g., she used to pee on the right spots, but after 1 yr. or so, she decided to invent a few new spots. 2 new permanent spots, 1 upstair, 1 downstair.

Then from time to time, instead of going to the regular spot or the new spot she invented, she decided just to pee on the carpet. This morning, I found 2 small spots on the carpet.

The best way to deal with this, is every 2 hr. when my bunny needs to pee, or even if she doesn't need to pee, I put her to the regular spot so she knows that is her spot to do her business. Hopefully, she knows that's her spot for the long run.

But on rare occasion, there will be accidents.

Back