• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy been to the vets

poppy180

Warren Scout
Hi Guys :wave:

latest news after asking the vet:

Bugsys infection was clostridum perturlliua - anyone heard of it? I havent got time at the mo but will start researching.

not EC :!: :!:

Poppy has had an injection 2nite given normally to sheep in a v small quantity to fight this and other infections called: Covexin10 anyone heard of it :?: he said there wont be any side effects

I had complete trust in him and he also checked her teeth - she started licking the thing he put in her mouth!! :lol: :lol: and checked her lungs and heart

they weighed her, only after me asking them to and the nurse did that in the nurse room, i wasnt happy as he made a 'joke' saying how we needed to put her in her box to go down there as she may have got eaten by a dog on the way through the waiting room. :evil: :evil: She was v wriggly and flighty with him, fine when i held her though!

think i may look for a more rabbit orientated vet :? :? - will ask SOAD for one by us

i asked how long 2 leave it until we get her a friend, he said a week to let injection settle in and reccomm he should have done aswell

ps she weighed 1.81 kg and the nurse said she was in really good shape :D :D

poppy180 said:
Hi Guys :wave:

latest news after asking the vet:

Bugsys infection was clostridum perturlliua - anyone heard of it? I havent got time at the mo but will start researching.

not EC :!: :!:

Poppy has had an injection 2nite given normally to sheep in a v small quantity to fight this and other infections called: Covexin10 anyone heard of it :?: he said there wont be any side effects

I had complete trust in him and he also checked her teeth - she started licking the thing he put in her mouth!! :lol: :lol: and checked her lungs and heart

they weighed her, only after me asking them to and the nurse did that in the nurse room, i wasnt happy as he made a 'joke' saying how we needed to put her in her box to go down there as she may have got eaten by a dog on the way through the waiting room. :evil: :evil: She was v wriggly and flighty with him, fine when i held her though!

think i may look for a more rabbit orientated vet :? :? - will ask SOAD for one by us

i asked how long 2 leave it until we get her a friend, he said a week to let injection settle in and reccomm he should have done aswell

ps she weighed 1.81 kg and the nurse said she was in really good shape :D :D

All I know is Clostridium is a Bacteria found in cases of Enterotoxaemia in Rabbits. I have not heard of/had experience of prophylactic treatment being given to an asymptomatic Rabbit.

How was Bugsy's infection identified?

Here is some info on Covexin 10

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Schering-Plough_Animal_Health/Covexin_10/-34243.html

Janex

Hi thanks for your advice and comments, Jane and Jill

the articles i have just been reading on the net seem quite jargony and i didnt really understand much of them,

key words seemed to be gut not moving, not right diet and one even said stress from handling! :oops: :oops:

i don't understand this, :? :? both buns have been on SS, a complete pellet mix for 8 months, when i had bugsy at first i intergrated it with his feed over 2 weeks, and that was back in August. Veg i feed as a treat every other day

I handle them as gently as i can, and BUgsy used to follow me round and stand up on 2 paws when i stood up looking up at me to pick him up.

they have been on timmy hay, i had a large box for 4 months and have recently changed to bagged pet shop hay, again mixing it as i went, shorter time over 4-5 days.

I thought his gut was moving as even when he was floppy he ate from me.

Looking for reassurance, or if i did wrong i really need to know. Finding getting over loosing Bugsy so suddenly really hard, reading and doing everything i can think of to avoid any reaccurance, even though vet says not my fault, not trusting him too much

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi thanks for your advice and comments, Jane and Jill

the articles i have just been reading on the net seem quite jargony and i didnt really understand much of them,

key words seemed to be gut not moving, not right diet and one even said stress from handling! :oops: :oops:

i don't understand this, :? :? both buns have been on SS, a complete pellet mix for 8 months, when i had bugsy at first i intergrated it with his feed over 2 weeks, and that was back in August. Veg i feed as a treat every other day

I handle them as gently as i can, and BUgsy used to follow me round and stand up on 2 paws when i stood up looking up at me to pick him up.

they have been on timmy hay, i had a large box for 4 months and have recently changed to bagged pet shop hay, again mixing it as i went, shorter time over 4-5 days.

I thought his gut was moving as even when he was floppy he ate from me.

Looking for reassurance, or if i did wrong i really need to know. Finding getting over loosing Bugsy so suddenly really hard, reading and doing everything i can think of to avoid any reaccurance, even though vet says not my fault, not trusting him too much

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh no Emma, so sorry to hear you have had these problems :cry: It really does sound as if this was just an extremely unfortunate turn of events, I'm sure it wasn't something that you did or didn't do that caused this :cry: Clostridium is a bacteria that can be present in a rabbit's intestine - if the gut is working properly, the other bacteria and the process of the gut keeps everything in balance.

Bacteria like clostridium only seem to cause a problem if they somehow manage to multiply out of control. Unfortunately, gut problems are relatively common in rabbits, so it's possible that you were just unlucky that he had those particular bacteria in his gut to cause a problem. Problems in bunny guts tend not to be the primary cause, but rather a symptom of a different problem, and by the sound of it, you weren't feeding them wrong to cause a problem, so it just sounds like it was something very unfortunate which you were fairly helpless to deal with :cry: As soon as you knew there was a problem you took him to the vets and that is absolutely the right course of action.

Maybe your vet is wondering if they picked up the bacteria from the environment (it is fairly common in soil, for example) and is therefore treating as a precaution. I can't say it's something I've heard of, but it might explain why he's done that :?

Good luck, I'm quite certain that this was nothing you had done and was really just a very unfortunate turn of events, and I really hope that your other little precious continues to be well xxxx

Back