• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

20% mortality rate!

Jonny

Warren Scout
Asked the vet today about getting my girls spayed and asked him what the risk was. He said he lost about 1 in 5 bunnies who were in for a spay :shock:

Now I'm relatively new to the world of wabbuts, but that does sound very high!

Is this normal, or should I seek out another vet?

:shock: That sounds wayyyyyyy high, I'd have thought it would be nearer 1 in 100 or less. I'd definitely seek out another vet! Whereabouts do you live, someone might be near enough to recommend somewhere?

OMG, I'd be looking for another vet, whereabouts do you live? Maybe someone on here can recommend one for you?

That sounds much too high! :shock: When I asked my vets the same question their answer was that they hadn't lost a single one! I would definitely be looking for another vet. :thumb:

That sounds very high, considering that quite a few rescues on here get all their does neutered and many owners do. I've not been a member that long but it doesn't seem to be that high a ratio.

Just thinking though...it is high and you should deffinatley find another vet imo BUT it is still a lot lower than the 85% that get cancer from not being done :roll:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Eeeek!! Like ever one else had said. I would seek out another vet.

m
xx

Bloomin' 'eck! That vet doesn't sound very optimistic - I wouldn't have had mine done in a million years if the vet had made it sound anything other than routine (plus the vet was recommended to me by Alison anyway!) :)

Well at least they were honest about it, better you know up front and can make an informed choice about where you take them for the op! I wonder if they have thought themselves that this is a little high and maybe to have some more training, or if it's just not something they do a lot of :?

Sarah, Melinda's bump is getting rather large so I don't think she's going to be around for much longer. She reckons she's going to stick it out until the start of Feb but judging by the size of her now, there's no way she's gonna get that far!

Erm not sure, they're all pretty good and I'd be happy to see any of them in an emergency, although I'm less confident in Annette (she has obviously been learning a lot about buns since she's been there though). I'll probably ask Melinda who she suggests, she probably knows what the others are like with buns better than anyone else :lol: :lol: I think to a certain extent it depends if you know what the problem is, as some are more knowledgeable and experienced than others, and some are more newly trained on up to date techniques or open to you suggesting things.

I'll let you know who she suggests :wink:

ARC have about 200 plus rabbits neutered each year, probably more females than males for some reason. In the past 5 years we have lost about 4 rabbits (that is out of almost 1000 buns of both sexes) all of these have had other problems which have been discovered on post mortem. That works out at about 0.04%

If your vet is quoting a 20% death rate, I would avoid this vets like the plague. If you can let us know where you are, there will someone who can suggest a good vets near you, even if you have to travel a little further it will be worth it.

The risk of neutering is far less than the risk of developing uterine cancer, it is certainly worth considering.

AlisonA said:
Erm not sure, they're all pretty good and I'd be happy to see any of them in an emergency, although I'm less confident in Annette (she has obviously been learning a lot about buns since she's been there though). I'll probably ask Melinda who she suggests, she probably knows what the others are like with buns better than anyone else :lol: :lol: I think to a certain extent it depends if you know what the problem is, as some are more knowledgeable and experienced than others, and some are more newly trained on up to date techniques or open to you suggesting things.

I'll let you know who she suggests :wink:

Ah well, I normally know nothing! :oops: :lol: I want someone who will take over and sound like they know what they are talking about. Ironically, I think I've seen Annette more than anyone else, although Melinda did the ops, so the 'difficult' stuff.

jrn1310 said:
ARC have about 200 plus rabbits neutered each year, probably more females than males for some reason. In the past 5 years we have lost about 4 rabbits (that is out of almost 1000 buns of both sexes) all of these have had other problems which have been discovered on post mortem. That works out at about 0.04%

If your vet is quoting a 20% death rate, I would avoid this vets like the plague. If you can let us know where you are, there will someone who can suggest a good vets near you, even if you have to travel a little further it will be worth it.

The risk of neutering is far less than the risk of developing uterine cancer, it is certainly worth considering.

Sounds like a job for Christobel the Wonder Vet!!
Jonny are you near Twickenham, SW London ?

Janex

That's quite high I would def find another vet. Which one did you go to? I'm on Notts/Derbys boarder and I use VPI Priory Island Beeston. Lizette has neutered Rosie and Charlie and she does all the vacs, dentals and care for our other buns and the cat. IMO she's very good.

Mandy is in Notts too so she could prob reccomend someone aswell.

Yep I agree with all! I've heard it should only be 1-2% - most get through it fine, I had Amy done on Tue and she was fine + I'm a mega worrier!!

I'd find another vets if I were you who have more experience with rabbits.

Sounds like a vet who doesn't have a clue about bunnies! The vet Greenfields uses has done 1000+ spays and neuters, and not lost one yet that didn't hvae an underlying problem like a heart defect etc (any that die under anaesthetic are PM'd).

In fact there is a theory that any vet who is a bit iffy about doing an op on a rabbit is wary because they know they are **** at the anasthaesia!

Back