• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help talk my heart out of it!

I've mentioned on serveral threads about the bunnie in my local petstore.

He's been in there since July, due to the fact that nobody wants him as he has a sensitive tummy. He's in a teeny weeny cage and obv. he keeps growing. He's really really fluffy and I feel really sorry for him :cry:

After gaining the knowledge from this board I wouldn't get another bun from a petshop as they only get replaced - but I do feel for this little fella.

My brain is telling me no, as I have two buns already who have access to eat anything I leave out for them as well as lots of treats and chewing treats. Alas it wouldn't be fair for the petshop bun or to take away the treats for my two buns.

Help talk me out of it!

Could you offer to take him for free? If nobody wants him then they might be glad to get rid of him. And that way you wouldn't be giving them money to buy more? Do you have room/facilities etc to have him?

Spacegirl said:
Could you offer to take him for free? If nobody wants him then they might be glad to get rid of him. And that way you wouldn't be giving them money to buy more? Do you have room/facilities etc to have him?

I was going to suggest the same thing :thumb:

Can you afford another bun? Especially if there are potential problems with the sensitive tummy? There will be another set of vaccinations to pay for, more food and treats, where would he go? can you afford to get him neutered? What if him being there upsets your current two?

Exactly the questions I needed.

If I were to take him - I'd have to bond him with my two, as they live free-range and I couldn't have an animal couped up all seperate (no offence to anyone - I just find it easier as I'm at home all day). Mind you Jessica was a complete nightmare bonding her with Jasper - she was really aggresive, so not too keen on trying to bond her along with Jasper with anothe bun as I only had 1 pair of hands!

Re: money, well I have 2 x cats and 2 x buns, I don't think one more pet is gonna make too much difference.

I'm just thinking the sensitive tummy thing would be tricky as like I say my two eat anything they like which is left in the kitchen (thats where they sleep at night). Also I do 'really' have the room - just trying to talk myself out of it!

There is the possibility that the pet shop bun is ill and would pass something onto your two. If you went ahead I would think he would need a thorough check up before he went near your other two.

Spacegirl said:
There is the possibility that the pet shop bun is ill and would pass something onto your two. If you went ahead I would think he would need a thorough check up before he went near your other two.

Ditto

As hard as it is you need to consider the health of the two Buns you already have.
Also the stress of moving may exacerbate the shop Bunnies 'delicate tummy' so you'd need to be prepared for him being poorly.

If he is in a Pet Shop and up for sale but has a known physical problem then the Pet Shop are breaking the law and you need to contact your local council Environmental Health (who issue the licences to Pet Shops to enable them to sell Animals)
The RSPCA also need to be informed that a 'known to be less than 100% well' Rabbit is on sale.

Janex

Because 2 weeks ago a sign appeared on his cage saying 'sensitive tummy' and when I mentioned to the shop girl about him before, saying I noticed he'd been there ages, she said he's got a sensitive tummy and he can only eat the food he's already on and no treats.

I agree with petshop food being pants, I doubt they ever get fresh veggies etc.

Jane - do you think it still needs reporting?

i would offer to take him for free and take him to the vets.

As Eve said, pet shop's generally feed mix - and alot of pet shop workers i have spoken to know nothing about rabbits!

Personally i would take him.

Do you have a hutch that your old buns were in where the new one could live for now?

Re reporting the pet shop - generally the RSPCA will not do anything if said rabbit has food and water.

i dont encourage pet shop buying but that bun may lead a very horrible lonely life on his own :cry:

You could try reporting them - it's illegal to sell a "sick" animal (I think - that came from my Dad :? ).

I wouldn't buy it though, like you said you are just condeming another bun to live that way.

How friendly are the staff? Sensitive tummy issues are usually related to diet. Generally pellets to low in fibre and in too high quantities and not enough hay.

Perhaps you could pop in and say you'd seen the sign and you'd have a bun with a sensitive tummy too and the vet recommended using Supreme Science pellets because it had a probiotic in (although you had to switch really slowly) and that had to fed extra hay because that helped their tummies process food better.

If you can't realistically take on the rabbit sometimes there are other things like that you can do to help :)

You could download & print the RWA feeding your rabbit leaflet too :)

Tam

Awww I know how you feel this was exactly like Tree's situation with her Bob he was there months - personally if I was you and you are in the position to ake another bun go get him. Why should he sit there bored and fed on a **** diet when he could have a loving home with you poor little guy :cry:

Me personally....i'd get the bun out the shop. I can't see any animal suffer. And in my eyes there is always room for one more. Sounds like hes had a rough time, and he could be having a life of luxury. Most pet shops will have at least a 48hour guarentee. Take the bun to the vet, and see whether he does have a 'sensitive tummy'. If he has and they haven't tried treating it, then report them.

I work in a pet shop, but really don't agree with the standards of the pet shop. I hate that the managers won't allow vegetables in the budget. I mean how much does it cost. Me and my mum have a really good reputation with the local veggie market man, as he knows that my buns and piggies love the veg so much. If we pop to the stall at the end of the day he usually gives us the "ends" i mean who wants cauliflour leaves, and carrot tops (only us animal lovers obviously!!) He will also do cheap deals at the end of the day too!!

I usually get so much that i prefer to take some to work, then see it go off and be wasted. I get nothing from the management team, but i see that the animals have a better life, and it gives them something to look forward too!!

I think Tam is right. If your circumstances cant accomodate the bun then there are other ways to help :D

Gracie and animals x

You seen upset by this bunny, but maybe your not 100% on whether it would be practical to keep him yourself. Perhaps you could take him and look at it as fostering, see how things work out?
I agree with some of the other threads, maybe find out if they will offer 48hour guarentee, try and take him for free or a very small amount (£5)because they are unlike to offer a guarentee AND give away for free.

The problem here though is that this buns been taking up a cage for a long time. They are likely to want to sell/get rid of him but will be really chuffed cus they can then fill the cage with more babys that can be sold easilly. Its very difficult because either way this bunny or the next bunny will lose out. You may take him and then end up being distraught if the same thing happens in a few months time at the same pet shop.

Definitly try and involve trading standards or something to prevent this happening again. Good luck with you decision.

Back