• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Rescue Not Routinely Neutering......

wow! u would have thought they would have had him neutered!! thats a shock! what a handsome fella tho - his colour is amazing :love:

bumble3130 said:
wow! u would have thought they would have had him neutered!! thats a shock! what a handsome fella tho - his colour is amazing :love:

Hmmmm, well I thought maybe its cos he is a new intake but reading on it does not mention neutering the Buns they have just vaccinating...... :?

Janex

I've just posted about how cute this bun is. I didn't notice that he was unneutured - I just assumed that being the RSPCA that he would be. How strange :? maybe they'll neuter him before rehoming. Might be an idea to give them a ring and make a general enquiry about adopting a rabbit, asking if they neuter.

Things may have changed since I last adopted a rabbit from them but they didn't neuter back then unless you asked them to. And having looked at the adoption fees list for my local centre it looks the same as it used to be - £5 to adopt a rabbit and £15 to have one neutered first.

tigerbabe said:
Things may have changed since I last adopted a rabbit from them but they didn't neuter back then unless you asked them to. And having looked at the adoption fees list for my local centre it looks the same as it used to be - £5 to adopt a rabbit and £15 to have one neutered first.

Is that an RSPCA Adoption Centre?

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
tigerbabe said:

Is that an RSPCA Adoption Centre?

Janex

Yes. I was amazed that the fee's are still the same as they were 8 years ago :shock:

Dandelion cam from the RSPCA in Nottingham and he was neutered. We saw him on the Saturday, they home checked us on Monday, netered him on Tuesday and we picked him up on Saturday - speedy adoption. Now we are getting post adoption checked today.

They were quite good although they did give him to us with overgrown teeth and he was at the vets the following week getting them clipped. Don't know why they didn't check is teeth whilst he was being netered.

I got Dolly for RSPCA Blackberry Farm, they neuter but do not vaccinate. I was home checked by someone from the South Bucks Branch and she said that they Vaccinate but do not neuter. This was 3 years ago though so I don't know their policy may have changed since.

When I was looking for a bunny gf for Travis on RR, I contacted an RSPCA centre and got this reply about one bunny....

Hi Keri

yes she is still up for adoption unfortunately very few of the RSPCA rabbits
are spayed as it costs us £70 each, and as we only charge £15 would make
a loss straight away and have no money for food, accommodation etc. so you
will have to underwrite that charge yourself.

She is beautiful looking rabbit and has a nice temperament, quite quiet,
she came in with a litter which have all been rehomed now so just her to
rehome.

The way the RSPCA works is that youwould need to have a homecheck which your
local branch could do for us, if you got the all clear from that you can
pick toffee up from the foster mum and take her away that day. If she does not get on with your rabbit then we will accept her back but you do not get a refund of your £15 adoption fee, and usually we ask for a donation to have her back as we will have to
put her back on the website etc. again.

If you would like to visit her before your homecheck clearance feel free
to contact her foster mum on ************ to arrange a suitable time.
However if you do want to take her away you will have come back down to
pick her up after your homecheck.

Let me know which route you would like to take - homecheck first or after,
and I will organise accordingly. She is a lovely bunny so really could do
with a nice home (and has obviously got on with a boy rabbit in the past
as she had a litter!)

Regards

I didn't adopt toffee, but must say that I got Treacle Tart from RSPCA Wallsall and she was due to be speyed before I even reserved her..... :?

Teddy and Jasper were both adopted from RSPCA (different places... Jasp from Beds, Ted from Walsall) and they were both deplummed when I got them :thumb:

Must just differ between different places... although you'd think and it's ALL RSPCA they'd have the same rules :?

I find this bit quite worrying

If she does not get on with your rabbit then we will accept her back but you do not get a refund of your £15 adoption fee, and usually we ask for a donation to have her back as we will have to

They want you to pay them to take back one of their bunnies if the bonding doesnt work out :shock:
If someone adopts a rabbit from me and the bonding doesnt work out I just give them their adoption fee back, I wouldnt dream of keeping it AND asking for a donation on top of that :roll:

sgprescue said:

If she does not get on with your rabbit then we will accept her back but you do not get a refund of your £15 adoption fee, and usually we ask for a donation to have her back as we will have to

They want you to pay them to take back one of their bunnies if the bonding doesnt work out :shock:
If someone adopts a rabbit from me and the bonding doesnt work out I just give them their adoption fee back, I wouldnt dream of keeping it AND asking for a donation on top of that :roll:

Hmmmmm, well the RSPCA current account is at COUTTS BANK. I am beginning to understand how they achieved that now...... :roll:

I'll say no more.....

Janex

sgprescue said:

Yeah, that was one of the things that put me off, especially as so many other rescues were offering to bond them for me. I mean, I would never give up with bonding a pair, but as we know, sometimes it just doesn't work, and then what do you do if it's going to cost you £30??? (especially as you would have already -i hope - had her speyed yourself before even attempting bonding) :roll:

To be fair branches differ. Reading and Oxon branch, especially their bunny fosterers Steve and Sandra, are excellent.

However Blackberry Farm branch has a bit of a 'reputation' with other rescues round here.

Yes, lets have ago at those mean people that spend their spare time taking on rabbits and then don't neuter them. They are down right evil aren't they. How dare they not raise enough funds to vaccinate and neuter every rabbit rabbit they take in. I mean fundraising isn't difficult is it! You take it a litter of babies and all you need to raise is a few hundred pounds... how hard can that be.

And as for not returning the £15 people donate well that down right stingy. I mean so what if they've spent it on vetcare for the next batch of rabbits, if that's my fifteen quid I wouldn't want some rescue to have it if I can't have a rabbit. I know they spent time doing my homecheck and all but that's their spare time right not mine. I'm not gonna donate £15 if I don't get anything in return.

And as for being part of the RSPCA, well we all know that means they are horrible evil people! I don't care that the braches get no funding from the hq. They have the same name so they are evil!!!

Shame on you all.

Amanda from RSPCA Medway is a lovely lady and cares very much about the animals in her care. They pay a vet to come into the branch and do neutering so the mount they can neuter depends on how much they can raise. Sometimes that means a rabbit gets done and sometimes that means they have spent all the funds on other vet care like sick animals. That doesn't make them bad people and being part of the RSPCA certainly doesn't automatically make them uncaring. Those volunteers do an awful lot of hard work and I'm sure would love to neuter all their bunnies just as much as you'd like them to.

Instead of moaning at them if you don't like it then you hand over your cash and pay for the neutering or help raise funds so they can.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ourwork/neutering.asp

Back