• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In need of bonding help!!!

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi All
I have 2 buns....George and Peppa! :D

Peppa lives outside and George lives inside.I have had both buns neutered and speyed and am desperate to get them to live together.

I have tried on countless occasions but have failed miserably! :( The male chases the female around and she is utterly terrified.He hasnt ever bitten her but she gets so scared. When she runs about she drags her nails so hard along the ground that they end up bleeding.She looks petrified and her breathing looks like she is going to have a heart attack! :shock:
What I cant understand is that she allows my 10 mth old cavalier spaniel puppy to be around her and in her hutch. I just have no idea on how to get them together....I hate the thought of them living solo. I just want them to have someone to cuddle up to!

I am about to order a hutch and run large enough for the 2 of them on the slim chance that they will suddenly like each other.
Please if anyone has ANY ideas then please share.
Am off to look at the hutches and when I get back i am going to try them together again.

Leesa.

where are you introducing them? it has to be somewhere neither of them have been before. Im going to try bonding scarlett and trip in a couple of months and I am taking them to my sisters house to do it!

to be honest if one of mine was having trouble breathing when I was trying I wouldnt keep going.

Could you go to a rescue and ask them to help you if you give a donation? Or some people try taking them for a car ride together

Hi sillyrabbit and thanks for ur reply.

I have tried the bathroom,kids room(which r upstairs) and outside.Buns r only allowed downstairs so upstairs it has been bunny free and I just cant seem to get them to settle!

As far as im aware there r no rescues(apart from sspca)near me.
It would be great if some1 could do it as im completely blind on how to do it.I have even had my vet asking about for suggestions but was strictly told to do it mid-week(so the vets r open) and to keep a garden brush and gardening gloves handy so they didnt attack me if i had to get in the middle of them.

Am now considering that they mite just have to live seperately and get another hutch for the indoor bun to go outside.....just seems a shame that they will spend nights alone....especially if its cold!

Thabks for the reply.....will keep trying for a bit longer!
Fingers crossed.
Leesa.

I just gave up trying to bond trip and malibu because she got a nasty bite from him behind her ear.

I know what you mean about getting help though, the only animal rescue where I live wouldnt help me. but I think they might have become friends if I had taken them somewhere else to try. I couldnt watch them fighting!!

When I was trying I posted asking questions and was told to try the car, just taking them for a drive together. Is there anyway you could try that?

Hope it works out :D

Will give it a shot.
Have they to be in the same pet carrier????
I dont think it would be such a good idea to put them in the same one especially if they dislike one another!! I do have 2 carriers as i have cats also.
I could prob get huuby to drive while i sat in the back....will give that a try!

Would love to get someone to do who knows what they are doing!

leesa.

you need to leave them in the carrier together, not two seperate ones! what about rubbing a little lavender oil on there backs to mask smells!

what about rubbing a little lavender oil on there backs to mask smells

I will remember that for when Im bonding :D

Have they to be in the same pet carrier????

I dont think I would be brave enough to put them in a carrier together. But Im a whimp :D

Yes they need to be together though. I am going to use our laundry basket when I do it. Its quite big and easy to get one of them out if I have too!

Is there nobody you can get to help?

Thabks ahh144....
Will use the bigger of my pet carriers then.
Will go purchase lavender oil tomorrow.
Am going to try them together again 2morrow during the day when kids at school and nursery....and if all else fails will try the car tomorrow evening when my husband comes in from work.

Thanks guys.....if anyone knows of any rescues in the surrounding area....i live near Glasgow and can drive.....then please let me know and will give them a try!
Leesa.

my husband took 3 of our rabbits for a car drive in a pet carrier. He had to repeat this at intervals 2 or 3 times throughout a morning.

We also put them in a litter tray into the (empty!) bath. Sounds cruel as they do huddle together in fear.

Eventually we took the entire hutch and run to a different part of the garden (having thoroughly cleaned it first) and sucess!

Before I felt confident enough to leave them through the night, though - I did set up my camcorder for reassurance so that I could check they were getting on okay. (But thats just me).

Very nerve racking, I know.

Cara

Hi - just wondering if the bonding worked out for you??

I'm having a bit of trouble too now - so would be interested to see what worked for you!!

Back