• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam? How to know what to do for the best?

lucyj

Mama Doe
Ok most of u all know the situ with Harly, and how the vet told me 2 try him off Metacam (oral) for a few days as he's been on it for about 4wks and with it not being licensed 4 rabbits, didnt wnt 2 risk side effects like kidney damage.

The doseage she suggested was 0.2ml once daily, but after learning on here tht the max dose was o.4ml for his weight, I was giving him 2 doses of 0.2ml 1 in morning 1 at night.

I did take him off for a cpl of days but he was miserable so put him back on (the vet said to do this). Im now worried about kidney damage so have only been giving him the 0.2ml dose in the morning, none at night. But he's still a bit miserable - jst dont know wht to do for the best. Up his doseage and see if tht helps, or if its side effects making him miserbale or wht.

???? :?

How much does he weigh? I usually use it straight from the dropper bottle, the manufacturers recommend 4 drops per kg daily for rabbits. So if he is around 2kg he would need 8 drops a day (probably not far short of the 0.2ml)

The vet I have been using for Duchess (who is a rabbit genius) reckons that the recommended dose for bunnies is too high and hasn't been tested out enough. He tries starting with 1 drop and gradually increasing until you see a difference in them.

Yes there is a risk with long term use - but then there is an argument about quantity versus quality of life. Tough one though!

Metacam should only be given once a day. The dose range is from 2 to 4 drops per kg, usually with the higher level the first day as a loading dose and then the lower one as maintenance. It has been used often in rabbits and is generally regarded as quite safe, with many rabbits on it long term with no ill effects. There are not many products licensed for rabbits, not because they don't work, or are not safe, but because the manufacturers won't bother with the expense of formal testing for them as they don't think they will make much money from it.

ok thanks. thr drops r a measured amount, 0.05ml so the 4 drops a day prescribed was 0.2ml, but I was advised on here goin by his weight (around 2 kg, although he has lost a little now) tht he could have twice tht amount, so I was giving him a 2nd dose of the same amount at night as I found he was laging by then.

I find it easier 2 put it in2 a syringe as it is easy to squeeze the bottle a little 2 mch and 2 mch comes out, plus he doesnt like gettin it and struggles so Id b worried bout overdosing.

It was more the effects of being on it long term I was worried about, ie was I doing more harm than good.

Im goin 2 stick 2 giving him the 0.2ml in morning only, but if I feel he is v misrbale give him another dose at night, but not as a routine. Gave him 1 2nite as he is pretty misrable 2day - a lot of his scabs r coming off, he has a really nasty lookin deep sore on his foot, a sore lookin 1 where his eyebrow should be, and the ones on his eyelids on 1 eye have totally come off and thy'r a bit pink and sore looking. Also a few of the little 1s on his nose have came off as well.

Hi there.

Its a difficult call but I suspect that if it was my bunny, I would definitely still be giving the Metacam if he looks miserable and in some pain.

Just to say though that my vet is adamant that Metacam acts over 24 hours and shold be administered once daily. I had hoped to give it in 2 doses when my bunny Jess had her fractured rib though he told me no. I suppose its one less struggle a day too that way.

As always, you care so much, hope I'm not being difficult telling you what my vet told me. See what you think.

Fiona x

Fionabun said:
Hi there.

Its a difficult call but I suspect that if it was my bunny, I would definitely still be giving the Metacam if he looks miserable and in some pain.

Just to say though that my vet is adamant that Metacam acts over 24 hours and shold be administered once daily. I had hoped to give it in 2 doses when my bunny Jess had her fractured rib though he told me no. I suppose its one less struggle a day too that way.

As always, you care so much, hope I'm not being difficult telling you what my vet told me. See what you think.

Fiona x

Christobel (my Vet) says that a Bunny on longterm Metacam can develop a 'tolerence' of it so 12 hourly divided doses work better to keep the concentration of the drug at a constant level in the bloodstream over a 24 hour period

Uncle Albert and Jack had divided doses as do Martha and Major Tom.
I believe it has made a significant difference re pain control.

Janex

Right this is the manufacturers recommendations

Although Metacam is not currently licensed for use in rabbits and small furries, it is now commonly used. From preclinical safety data, rabbits and rats can tolerate quite high doses of Metacam. From anecdotal reports the following regine has been determined.

Loading dose:- 0.2mg/kg given as a single dose. This may be administered by s/c injection or using the oral suspension

Further treatment of acute conditions:- 0.2mg/kg once daily with food until a good analgesic effect is attained then reduce to the lowest effective dose.

If dilution of Metacam is required for 'lightweight' patient - use drops of tap water from an insulin syringe to produce the required dilution. Metacam should be diluted immediatly before use.

Long term use:- We have reports of rabbits and rats being treated continuously for months without adverse effects. In these cases, it is prudent to gradually reduce the dose further as permitted by clinical response.

Dropper design:

Please note that we have improved the design of the dropper on the 10ml, 32ml and 100ml bottles to increase the accuracy of dosing of small animals. Each drop now contains 0.05mg per drop. The old dropper dispensed 0.1mg per drop.

Although they say single dose I cant see what harm it would do to split it. The dose is 0.2mg/kg so for your bunny you would need 0.4mg daily. There is 1.5mg/ml so this works out to 0.26ml daily

Pk thanks for tht guys - sum1 had poted the doseage thing for me before but I jst thought by giving the prescribed dose rather thn the max dose i might do less damage re side effects, but if it really is ok thn Ill continue wiyh max. Thats 2 days now he's been back on 0.2ml twice daily and he's so mch happier - he even did a cpl of big jumps which may have been mini-binkies in his run 2day :D

Aww bless him and his binkying. He has done so well.

Jack's-Jane said:
Christobel (my Vet) says that a Bunny on longterm Metacam can develop a 'tolerence' of it so 12 hourly divided doses work better to keep the concentration of the drug at a constant level in the bloodstream over a 24 hour period

Uncle Albert and Jack had divided doses as do Martha and Major Tom.
I believe it has made a significant difference re pain control.

Janex

That's great to know. I will definitely be passing this on to my vet

Fiona x

Back